Hay buyers

Help Support CattleToday:

kjones

Reaction score
There has been discussion on these boards about hay producers holding out on selling hay, so they can charge more. whether it right or wrong I'm not going to get started on. What this topic is about is the buyer that calls or comes to look at hay, gets a price for it out of the field and then doesn't show up to pick it up. A couple of months go by and here comes that buyer expecting to get hay at the price you quoted for hay in the field. Then they get upset that you won't sell it to them at that price or you already sold it. So whose wrong here?

Normally when you give your word then you should stand by it.A deal has been made.But there may be circumstances when that is not the case.I guess this is a judgement call on your part.

This year is different. Last year I had a whole bunch of nickels tied up in irrigation. People would come out and try to negotiate and waste my time. I don't have time for negotiations. I got a price and that's it. It is a fair price based on production cost. Some of the "tire kickers" came back when they found poor quality hay for more money or the imported stuff wasn't good enough. It was too late by then. It was all sold.

There are three posters in this forum I have guaranteed holding hay for. They are good for it. I gave my word and they can count on me keeping it, for what is currently on hand. They are good people and we will likely do business in the future.

I have more hay to move and there are many speculators taking up my time right now.

I can price hay at good prices this year but it has a bit of weed in it on this first cutting. That happens after the droughts we have had.

A man's word still means a great deal to me.

I would put a time frame on that particular kind of deal. "I'll sell it for ---- if you can pick it up by -----.", or "Price might change in a couple months so pick it up soon." Personally I don't do a lot of hand shake deals except with people I know. Of course I'm not selling hay either.

Walt

This past winter I had made a deal for hay and while I had made arrangements for it my haulers truck broke down and his partner was on holidays.I called the seller right away explained the situation and said that I still want and need the hay.Two weeks later I got it and he was payed the original price.The price of hay had gone down in those two weeks as spring was approaching;but my word is my word.

As I posted on the other post, I'm not a hay producer nor do I ever intend to be. But as a hay buyer I make sure the deal is done and complete; approximate date of cutting and baling, approximate weight of the bales, cost of the hay and time frame I need to pick it up. In this case it is both the sellers fault, for not setting up a time frame of pick up, and the buyers fault for being rude and undependable. The seller should have called the buyer when they baled and called again a week after he baled set a time frame for pick. If the buyer was still a no show sell the hay. If it was a written contract, it was a terrible, poorly written contract.

Just my two cents.... as a buyer :p

Alan

kjones":1hrimmpu said:
There has been discussion on these boards about hay producers holding out on selling hay, so they can charge more. whether it right or wrong I'm not going to get started on. What this topic is about is the buyer that calls or comes to look at hay, gets a price for it out of the field and then doesn't show up to pick it up. A couple of months go by and here comes that buyer expecting to get hay at the price you quoted for hay in the field. Then they get upset that you won't sell it to them at that price or you already sold it. So whose wrong here?

Part of the problem in the scenario you described is the miscommunication. You think he wants to buy the hay and pick it up tomorrow or the next day. He thinks he's locking you in on price and if he can't beat it in a month or so, then he'll come back and you'll be standing by the gate waiting on him.

It's just a matter of experience. Experience has now taught you to put a pick up date on any offers you leave on the table.

Don't beat yourself up, since he's got his share of the blame in this deal. Just ask him how long he expected you to wait on him to make a decision. Then tell him you gave him a week and moved on.

I agree your word is important, but you're not reneging, the offer expired.

Just my 2 cents worth
Cuz

I think the buyer tied up the hay while he shopped around for a bargain. To me I think the buyer should have made arrangements to have the hay hauled or at least made a down payment. If he would have found a bargain you would never heard from him.

No dice... If I quoted some one a price on hay it is not considered sold until they have told me they are coming to pick it up on a certain date or unless I have some sort of deposit.

You can tell me you want it all day long... but until you say,"I am coming to get it on ______ at ____" it is not yours unless you say you will call me on a certain day to tell me when you can pick it up because you are making arrangements.

Its the buyers job to keep in contact with the seller to let them know what is going on.

We sold every square bale we had from 1st cutting, yesterday to one man, a Mennonite, from Kentucky. He told me he'd be here at a certain time and he was. He even brought 4 hands to load each load.His word was a lot better than some folks we've dealt with over the years.

I'm thinking about selling him another bunch next week, so I can alleviate myself of the negotiators, speculators, dreamers, and BS'er's.

In the situation I was describing, I was talking about a buyer getting the price of hay put of the field not in the barn. I, as with most people sell my hay at a lower cost if the buyer picks it up put of the field. If I pick it up and stack it in my barn, I charge more. I feel that makes sense, it takes time and fuel and in my case a lot of help to get it in the barn. I don't know about other parts of the country but around here when the hay gets baled it is picked up within a day or two. So If a buyer thinks they can get it for the same price two or three months later and in the barn, they are sadly mistaken, yet they seem to be offended if I will not let them have it that way.

kjones":cj9eh1mo said:
What this topic is about is the buyer that calls or comes to look at hay, gets a price for it out of the field and then doesn't show up to pick it up. A couple of months go by and here comes that buyer expecting to get hay at the price you quoted for hay in the field. Then they get upset that you won't sell it to them at that price or you already sold it. So whose wrong here?

I wasn't there, didn't hear the conversation, and I can't tell you who was wrong. I can, however, tell you that we always quote a price for hay out of the field, and a price after it is stacked(and both prices are for the year). We also have caller id, and either ask for/take down the name and number of everyone calling about hay. If the buyer states he/she wants the hay it is considered sold until we hear differently, or they repeatedly don't show up. If it is for a future cutting, we always call and tell them that their hay is available and set up a time for them to pick it up. If they don't show up, we call them again. If they set another time/date, but still don't show up - we call them again. If they fail to show up a 3rd time, the hay is considered unsold unless there are mitigating circumstances.

I cannot say whose wrong or right.When you are selliing square bales in the field you have to make it absolutely clear that the price you quote is for TODAY in the field only,and if they are not there by an agreed upon time that afternoon it will go in my barn and will cost more.Sometimes if I know them real good,they can get it tomorrow,but they pay today and take the risk leaving it in the field.I only like to deal with people I know or have a good reputation on square bales,the rest can get it at the barn.When its rolls the price is for that week only.You have to make it perfectly clear or they will jerk you around and worry you to death,especially horse people.

If I contract corn or beans, I sell at that price. Even if the price has gone up.

Why would hay be different?

Verbal contracts stand in court.

Price on hay is never decided until I have it baled.

Bez+

kjones":3jk7ct0f said:
There has been discussion on these boards about hay producers holding out on selling hay, so they can charge more. whether it right or wrong I'm not going to get started on. What this topic is about is the buyer that calls or comes to look at hay, gets a price for it out of the field and then doesn't show up to pick it up. A couple of months go by and here comes that buyer expecting to
won't sell it to them at that price or you already sold it. So whose wrong here?
In the field is one price out of the barn is another. Always has been, always should be. Buyers should know that or they are going to learn.
Going up on price after hay was put in barn is not breaking ones word.
get hay at the price you quoted for hay in the field

Latest posts