hay and weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeerecj7

Reaction score
I have been harvestin my own hay for years but now I want to inprove the quality of my hay. I fertalize with litter and put down lime as needed per soil analisis( i cant spell) but i have a weed problem. sage brush and thisle are the two main ones with some bitter weed. I an planning to spray with 2-4-d this spring. dose anyone have any rate/appilcation tips or am I using the wrong probuct. I live in northeast alabama and am haying about 50 acers, with 40 in pasture. :bang:

Angus Cowman":62pbknz2 said:
even if I was using grazon I would add a litle remedy to the tank for the sage brush as the grazon will just burn it back not kill it
is it sage brush or buck brush

In his location, my money is on it being sage grass. Other locales call it broom sedge.

Cowdirt":2fd2hw53 said:
Angus Cowman":2fd2hw53 said:
even if I was using grazon I would add a litle remedy to the tank for the sage brush as the grazon will just burn it back not kill it

In his location, my money is on it being sage grass. Other locales call it broom sedge.
sage or sedge?

According to the USDA Plants database there is a sagbrush that is native to AL

if it's broom sedge then he needs more lime I would guess. Add some Kobe or Korean as well. 1/2 dose of 2-4d will knock out most non-woody weeds, but for woody weeds you definately need something else.

dun":27lt5rr1 said:
Cowdirt":27lt5rr1 said:
Angus Cowman":27lt5rr1 said:

sage or sedge?

I think broomsedge is the uptown name for it. In my area it's sage grass.

Latest posts