Hay Analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Got my hay analyis back. It looks like I'll be supplementing. The protein wasn't as disappointing as the TDN. It was some second cutting fescue.

CRUDE PROTEIN 9.39%
TDN 46.01%

Supplementing here too. Mine is worse than that. CP is about 8 and TDN was 50. A third of my hay will be a year old that was stored in a barn. Last year was rough for hay production but the price was right.

I'm pricing DDG and Gluten. I'd love to do tubs but the extra cost is just to much to justify the convenience.

skyhightree1":25bxyoqs said:
I have never done a hay analysis.

Its a good idea if you are breeding or nursing during hay time. Its just $10 here in Ky.

Bigfoot":1thttbgr said:
Got my hay analyis back. It looks like I'll be supplementing. The protein wasn't as disappointing as the TDN. It was some second cutting fescue.

CRUDE PROTEIN 9.39%
TDN 46.01%

That hay would be fine here for dry cows most times except when the weather turned really cold.
Energy may be a problem too

skyhightree1":6ew98vq6 said:

I have never done that either, but thinking of doing it so I know what type of supplement I need if any. My cousin had an analysis done on the hay he baled this year and it was right at 11%. Thats what got me to thinking I should do it too.

Limomike":tfskw098 said:
skyhightree1":tfskw098 said:

I have never done that either, but thinking of doing it so I know what type of supplement I need if any. My cousin had an analysis done on the hay he baled this year and it was right at 11%. Thats what got me to thinking I should do it too.

I may do that this year as well.

I called our extension office and they charge $6 per test, and even provide the tool to extract out of the core of a bale. All I gotta do is chop it up and place it in the bags they provide for me, and return to them. Said it takes 10 days before getting the results. I'm gonna do it .

machslammer":3fajcs71 said:
What protein is adequate for nursing winter cows?

Thats about as high as fescue has ever tested for me. They must have hit a pocket of clover. I will feed some DDG this winter. Not as soon as I start feeding hay, but a few weeks after.

Latest posts