Hay analysis results.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
picture share
What if anything do I need to add to the hay to make the TDN over 50%? This is the best hay I have, I'm happy with the protein level but the TDN level stinks. I just pulled the hay sample off the top of a bale in a feed trailer so the moisture levels are probably a little out of wack. The cows are getting by for now on the hay and 5lbs of corn - wcs every other day. But if we get a run of cold nasty wet weather it looks we could have some problems. I'd like to keep it on the cheap, but don't want it to cost any cows. Thanks

I would say you will be ok with what your doing. You know dam well that is not how you pull samples to get accurate results. I would think if it was done right your protein and tdn would be a little higher.

If they're doing fine, then your doing ok. Might have too feed corn everyday if things get worse. Energy will be their main need in colder weather.

M-5":1dd3ajrx said:
I would say you will be ok with what your doing. You know dam well that is not how you pull samples to get accurate results. I would think if it was done right your protein and tdn would be a little higher.
With the Christmas holidays it was better than 5 weeks to get the hay sample back. We knew something wasn't right so I just grabbed a bag full and sent it off. Then the worm and fluke deal happened about week or two later. Everything takes forever in the cow business, but stuff can really sneak up one you when you don't stay on top of it.

I figured y'all were hiding the hay behind the hills and just letting the cows in the green during the day to show out. When do you think you'll need to start feeding hay Kenny?

True Grit Farms":1na4pdvj said:
M-5":1na4pdvj said:
With the Christmas holidays it was better than 5 weeks to get the hay sample back. We knew something wasn't right so I just grabbed a bag full and sent it off. Then the worm and fluke deal happened about week or two later. Everything takes forever in the cow business, but stuff can really sneak up one you when you don't stay on top of it.
If you just pulled off the top tdn is probably better than indicated. :2cents:

kenny thomas":32dkktzm said:
sstterry":32dkktzm said:
kenny thomas":32dkktzm said:
Move north, grow fescue with 19% protein. Forget feeding hay.

I assume it is Kentucky 31 you are growing and not some other type?
Yes, it's easier to manage what grows wild than to change it so something else.
Don't tell Extension or NRCS that secret.

SDM":2ycikjsp said:
kenny thomas":2ycikjsp said:
sstterry":2ycikjsp said:
I assume it is Kentucky 31 you are growing and not some other type?
Yes, it's easier to manage what grows wild than to change it so something else.
Don't tell Extension or NRCS that secret.
Oh after several thousand dollars of trying I decided that I can have more by not fighting what grows easy. I spray bushes, fertilize fescue and crabgrass and spend a little instead of a lot.

snoopdog":xklzass3 said:
Man, I'm glad I didn't buy that load of hay from Georgia, probably why they lost the game.
The hay was cut at 29 days and was excellent quality. But it took 8 days to get it baled after being rained on a few times. The stuff we ship to Oklahoma gets sprayed with green food coloring and the Okies think their getting top quality horse hay.

Latest posts