hay after frost

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy some hay that was cut before the frost but rolled two weeks later. The temps dropped in to the teens for two days. should this hay still be viable? It is a coastal mix. I realize the protein might be low but I think I can augment that with protein tubs. What are your valued opinions.

papavillars":1hnfxsta said:
It is a coastal mix. I realize the protein might be low but I think I can augment that with protein tubs. What are your valued opinions.

It is a viable option provided that the hay is cheap enough. You've got to have something to fill them up, or you've got a problem on your hands.

I've run the numbers on this over the last several years, and if you can buy the hay cheap enough, you can supplement with enough protein/minerals that it actually may come out cheaper.

The key is that you've got to buy the hay CHEAP.

Don't delete this post mods. It is not political, however it may be offensive. :nod:

grannysoo":2fkfgsfq said:
The key is that you've got to buy the hay CHEAP.

Don't delete this post mods. It is not political, however it may be offensive. :nod:

Just be dam sure it was baled with a union built baler. :lol:

I would think the most important thing determining the nutrient loss of this hay would be the amount of moisture it came in contact with during the two weeks. Just like dehydration or freeze drying food, you want to dry it as soon as possible to prevent nutirient leaching.

Latest posts