Having trouble finding positions in the ranching world.

Help Support CattleToday:

j_luken

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to find positions in the ranching world for office/accounting/bookkeeping, especially in Texas. Does anyone know the place online that I am obviously missing for posting a resume of such to the ranching community? My position I have held for a few years will be going to another country other than the US soon so I am starting to look as I do not want to move out of the US, and I have posted and keep looking on Monster, indeed, simply hired, etc, but am not finding anything. Now I unfortunately like most am needing a competitive wage and cannot travel overnight. I have found a few sites for regular ranch work, but non for work in the office on a ranch. I know there must be a site out there somewhere that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J, I would suspect you should be looking at the bigger ranches in Texas for those kinds of jobs. King Ranch, Chapman Ranch are but just a couple of those who would be able to afford an office and staff. What about sale barns?

j_luken":16mfj1s5 said:
I am finding it hard to find positions in the ranching world for office/accounting/bookkeeping, especially in Texas. Does anyone know the place online that I am obviously missing for posting a resume of such to the ranching community?
I know there must be a site out there somewhere that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know I am old and out of touch....
But it seems to me current generation wants easy solution such as "a site" to do all their work for them.
I would pick up the phone and call companies that I want to work for and do my best to get an interview.
I would ask who is in charge of hiring book keepers or whatever position you want and are qualified for.
And talk with them direct before I would consider sending them a resume.
Resumes are for screening applicants out.....interviews are what get you hired.

Funny, we literally just hired a new book keeper for our office (the woman who worked for us for 40 years as the unsung hero of our business left due to illness) and I can tell you, finding one who has a grasp of cattle and can get their mind around the types of inventory reports and we run and controls we have is not an easy task.
We have a woman who pays billed etc., and messes with insurance, HR, runs errands etc. but the bookkeeper position is a tough one to fill.

Thanks everyone for the comments, if you come across anything more please let me know.

Js1234 - : ( I wish I would have posted earlier.

SJB – someone that I have been in communication with has stated the same thing that I should venture out and provide a service to do books for a few smaller ranches. At first I didn't think it would be what I would want but now it stays on my mind. Guess I would need to find out if there was a demand for such a thing first.

Thanks.

Latest posts