Have my start

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
As I stated in another thread I was looking at some Braunvieh cattle and I took your guys advice about having them preg tested. All 9 are bred and expecting to calve in March/ early April. I managed to get them for 875 each plus work on the mans barn roof which took me a whole two hours. I also purchased his Braunvieh bull.

I spent a good bit of time with the cattle in the field and working them through so the vet could do her thing. Even the bull was easy going and easy to work. They were all calm animals and relaxed.

I am thinking about building up a herd of Braunvieh cows and then start crossing them with angus. I wouldnt' mind having some angus cows to put with this Braunvieh bull either.

I think these cows and bull are going to give me a good start. Now if I can find 10 or so Angus to get started with too I will have it made.

Seems like angus is in everything these days. I wonder what a 5/8 angus 3/8 Braunvieh would do lol. Everything seems to be breeding to that percentage of angus anymore.

Curious, as to is this the first time you have owned cattle? Congrats on the purchase! If it is the first time you have owned i would recommend getting your feet wet with what you have...

I have owned some feeder calves before. Buy in spring sell in the fall. Usually around 30 head. I did this to get some practice and to start learning.

I took the last two years getting fences built, fields ferterlized and planted, barn built and lots of other odds and ends. I am going to start out with what I have and slowly build my Bruanvieh herd up before I worry about crossing. My heard will grow as I clear more land and get it ready and up and running. Right now i have 150 acres for pasture and 50 acres for haying. Though with ony 10 cows I could proabably hay the pasture fields as well.

I still have another 300 acres that I am going to clear and prep. My goal is to try and do at least 100 acres a year. It is old overgrown fields that need to be cleared off, work the soil and get it planted. I would like for this 100 acre increments to be useable again in two years after clearing and planting but it may take three. I am not going to rush it. Slow and steady is how I plan to take it.

I will get some pics as soon as I get everything settled in and some time. I have been busy with work, cattle :) and a pregnant wife who seems determined on having this baby early lol.

Good deal. We have a few Braunvieh cows and really like the breed. My husband has been breeding them to Angus and getting some very nice calves.
Hope all goes well with your wife.

TennesseeTuxedo":2gq239nh said:
Congrats on your start up herd but shouldn't your name be DixieBraunvieh?

When ya gonna post some pic?
Wrong person Tux. Brierpatch bought the Braunvieh.

Latest posts