Hauling

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
I have a few questions, any input is apprectiated.
Monday morning, I'm to pick up 3 heifers, ages 10 months & 11 months.

Question #1:
Should there be any trailering issues hauling them 14 hours, without stopping?

Question #2:
Should we give boluses for shipping fever before we load them?
*From individual seller.

Thanks in advance.

cowgirl_telly_369":y0mwq1o6 said:
I have a few questions, any input is apprectiated.
Monday morning, I'm to pick up 3 heifers, ages 10 months & 11 months.

Question #1:
Should there be any trailering issues hauling them 14 hours, without stopping?

Question #2:
Should we give boluses for shipping fever before we load them?

Thanks in advance.

1. If you are hauling in a stock trailers with plenty of room, there should not be any issues with hauling for 14 hours. Back when I showed cattle, they would sometimes lie down in the trailer if the trip was over a couple of hours.

2. As far as the boluses are concerned, kind of depends on where you are purchasing the cattle from. Are they from an individual, special female sale, or simply a sale barn. I'm sure there is someone with more expertise than me on this, but if they are from a sale barn and the vaccination program is unknown, it might be good managment to give them an antibiotic when you get them home. Something like Nuflor and Banamine. If they are from an individual or a registered herd female sale, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Hauling 14 hours should be no problem since you will probably stop several times en route to re-fuel, potty break, food, etc. They will rest some when trailer not moving (if they haven't lain down in trailer).

You should definitely have a "Vet's Certificate" (traveling papers) covering all of the animals. Since they're heifers, they should already have had their brucellosis vaccinations and ear tags. If they haven't been vaccinated for brucellosis, have that done as soon as you get them home---have Vet come out or take them to the Vet (only a Vet is allowed to do this).

If you do not get written proof the cattle were current on de-worming and all vaccinations, you can assume it hasn't been done ("verbal orders don't go" to quote an old maxim).

When you get them home, quarantine them in a pen for couple of weeks to check for any health problems. If you suspect "shipping fever", vaccinate them and/or treat them for this while in quarantine. I would also de-worm them upon arrival at your place (as an extra precaution).

If the seller says "I don't vaccinate my animals" or "yeah...they were vaccinated (but can't give you any details) suspect that it was not done.

Note: Some States have strict import laws regarding Brucellosis and TB. Texas is one of them. Be aware of this. Don't know about your area. If your area is "exempt status" or the seller's area is "exempt status" that just applies to the STATE, not the seller's herd per se. If you don't have proof, re-test.

Running Arrow Bill":3gh6g3jz said:
Hauling 14 hours should be no problem since you will probably stop several times en route to re-fuel, potty break, food, etc. They will rest some when trailer not moving (if they haven't lain down in trailer).

You should definitely have a "Vet's Certificate" (traveling papers) covering all of the animals. Since they're heifers, they should already have had their brucellosis vaccinations and ear tags. If they haven't been vaccinated for brucellosis, have that done as soon as you get them home---have Vet come out or take them to the Vet (only a Vet is allowed to do this).

If you do not get written proof the cattle were current on de-worming and all vaccinations, you can assume it hasn't been done ("verbal orders don't go" to quote an old maxim).

When you get them home, quarantine them in a pen for couple of weeks to check for any health problems. If you suspect "shipping fever", vaccinate them and/or treat them for this while in quarantine. I would also de-worm them upon arrival at your place (as an extra precaution).

If the seller says "I don't vaccinate my animals" or "yeah...they were vaccinated (but can't give you any details) suspect that it was not done.

Note: Some States have strict import laws regarding Brucellosis and TB. Texas is one of them. Be aware of this. Don't know about your area. If your area is "exempt status" or the seller's area is "exempt status" that just applies to the STATE, not the seller's herd per se. If you don't have proof, re-test.

Vet certificate has been taken care of, as has been bangs, and any other papers needed for traveling over state border.

They will be quarantined in a pen when they get home, as they are getting halter broke right away.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts