Hauling with Uhaul

Help Support CattleToday:

acardwell

Reaction score
:(

I have a dilemma! We have been given a registered Angus bull and heifer to start a herd. They are in Fla. and we are in SC. We have been offered the use of an open trailer but husband is worried about the calves getting shipping cold during route. They are only 2 months of age. 150-200 pounds.

He is convinced that renting a 5x8 "enclosed" trailer from u-haul to transport them is the best way to go.

I believe it is unsafe and illegal but he won't listen. Soooo, I have been searching for any cases or legal implications concerning this topic...whether it be from uhaul or animal laws. Have not been able to find any.

Hope someone can give me a "thought". Or come really good conrete "in print" legal notice or something.

Thanks,
Angela

Now thats a new one on me I haved moved about ever conciveable way Uhual just never thought about that one. I would be more worried about air and they don't sufficate.

I'll add my vote to the other 2. Why not just take the back seat out of your car and haul them that way?

dun

Anything legal I could print out.....Can't find anything relevant to the subject. The only thing that will convince husband to take a different route is something in writing of a case that has already happened concerning uhaul and livestock. Or regulations about such for uhaul or animal rights.

I have to find something to convince him another way is better. Not just what someone elses opinion is.

I have tried several different search strings. Can't find anything!

I could call and get facts all day....but I need something I can print for him to read~. Convincing....

Something against the use of uhaul for hauling livestock!

I just don't see how that could be legal but can't convince him of it. Has anyone heard of any case about it? Or know where I can find regulations about contents hauled in uhaul trailers?

Have tried numerous searches and haven't uncovered any.

Thanks
Angela

Sounds like you better check hubby's pockets for wacky weed.

acardwell":321t8mis said:
I have to find something to convince him another way is better. Not just what someone elses opinion is.
Something against the use of uhaul for hauling livestock!
What about the charge U-haul puts on his credit card for cleaning up the odd odor in the trailer? Better yet, go ahead and rent the trailer, put him in it and drive a couple hundred miles. 3 or 4 hours in a 5X8 box that is totally dark with no air circulation and rides like a pogo stick might change his mind.

I agree with the others. Do not haul in an enclosed Uhaul!!!

An open top trailer should be ok as long as the calves can be kept out of the wind. The open trailers i am familiar with can be fixed with a large tarp placed over the front of the trailer and covering the front,top & sides 6-8ft back from the front. Use plenty of bungee cords to keep the tarp from flapping in the wind. If allowed to flap the tarp will self destruct.

Bed the trailer with straw or wood shavings. As long as the calves are kept dry and out of the wind they should be fine.

Before your trip consult a local vet for his advice for needed vacinations.

Make the home bound trip in as little time as possible. Plan the return trip to avoid bad weather.

Before leaving on this trip make sure you have a pen with very good fences in place. These little guys will be headed back to Florida if they get out when you get them home.

When they get to SC first feed them some good quality grass (not alfalfa) hay. After 2-3 hrs on hay, feed about 5 lb of high quality calf starter (min 18%protein). Continue to feed all of the hay they will eat, along with all the calf starter they will eat until they have consumed 1-50lb bag of calf starter. When they have eaten 50lb of starter then switch to a grower (approx 14% protein) at 5lb/hd/day plus free choice hay or green pasture. Continue this feeding until breeding size.

High quality nutrition is very important the first 30 days. If they get past the first 30 days with no sickness then you are pretty much home free. Check them first thing every morning, looking for holding head below shoulder level, droopy eyes or ears, lack of appetite, or soft cough. The first few minutes of observation should be from far enough distance that they are not aware you are around. If you approach them immediately, this will cause their adrennalin to kick in and mask their true feeling. Don't be too concerned with a clear nasal discharge if appetite is good and otherwise feeling good. However, yellow or green nasal discharge could indicate an infection is brewing. Check with vet with any concerns.

Good luck and best regards

Brock

acardwell":2xvvwmbv said:
:(

He is convinced that renting a 5x8 "enclosed" trailer from u-haul to transport them is the best way to go.

Angela

Just about the time I think I've heard it all........... :shock:

Good advice Brock,

Did anyone notice that the original post said bull and heifer calves, about 150 to 200 lbs, couple of months old?

Angela, if your "starting a herd", I'm not sure that you would want to use a 2 month old bull as your "foundation". I know you said that you were given these animals, but do you know anything of the bull calfs background or any other info?

Why take them from the moma's now? (That's assuming that they are with their cows now) Can the trip wait for a few more months when they are stronger and the weather is better?

Very useful info. Thanks for all the advise.
We have fescue on pasture and bermuda hay. As well as calf starter feed.

My problem now is convincing husband of using uhaul...trying to find something "legal" pertaining to the matter and hoping someone here has heard of something. Haven't been able to find anything with numerous search strings.

My husband is the type that "seeing" is believing. He believes now that uhaul is the way to go. inexpensive an so on...I believe there are legalities. As welll as safety issues. But have to find something in writing I can print out so he has something "physical" to look at.

We have been offered the use of an "open" trailer. 12 ft rail. He thinks it would be more efficient to rent uhaul one way then haul other trailer there and back and won't listen to my "reason". That is why I posted.

Hoping to find someone that knows of a legality that I could "show" him. Something that "proves" uhaul livestock hauling illegal or unethical. A law, whether a court case or animal activists....whatever! Anything concrete against it.

thanks,
Angela

acardwell":28830rc7 said:
Very useful info. Thanks for all the advise.
We have fescue on pasture and bermuda hay. As well as calf starter feed.

My problem now is convincing husband of using uhaul...trying to find something "legal" pertaining to the matter and hoping someone here has heard of something. Haven't been able to find anything with numerous search strings.

My husband is the type that "seeing" is believing. He believes now that uhaul is the way to go. inexpensive an so on...I believe there are legalities. As welll as safety issues. But have to find something in writing I can print out so he has something "physical" to look at.

We have been offered the use of an "open" trailer. 12 ft rail. He thinks it would be more efficient to rent uhaul one way then haul other trailer there and back and won't listen to my "reason". That is why I posted.

Hoping to find someone that knows of a legality that I could "show" him. Something that "proves" uhaul livestock hauling illegal or unethical. A law, whether a court case or animal activists....whatever! Anything concrete against it.

thanks,
Angela

Does your husband read this site?

If no :

call local U-Haul place and tell them your dilema. I'd bet they would fax you (or at least tell you) something against doing this.

If yes:

Whoops...

cypressfarms":3ms6w21a said:
Good advice Brock,

Did anyone notice that the original post said bull and heifer calves, about 150 to 200 lbs, couple of months old?

Good catch, Cypress! Angela, why on earth would you even think about taking these calves off their mother at 2 months old? That's too soon!

Can't even get him to read others opinions! He don't care, still thinks his idea is legit.

It looks like I will have to call or go by uhaul and get something in writing. Can't find it online. Don't want to though because, frankly...it's embarrassing for me to even be asking about it.

I am against it already....trying to convince him without looking stupid myself!

Have recieved great info....and will be back when we get the calves home. Hubby may claim to know about cattle but I am finding myself to be skeptical of that knowledge!

Thanks,
Angela

acardwell":1qti5xtz said:
Can't even get him to read others opinions! He don't care, still thinks his idea is legit.

It looks like I will have to call or go by uhaul and get something in writing. Can't find it online. Don't want to though because, frankly...it's embarrassing for me to even be asking about it.

I am against it already....trying to convince him without looking stupid myself!

Have recieved great info....and will be back when we get the calves home. Hubby may claim to know about cattle but I am finding myself to be skeptical of that knowledge!

Thanks,
Angela

Good luck Angela.

Having raised too many bottle calves to count when I "had to" for my dad, it's not something I would wish on anyone.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Hubby may not like what he sees when the trailer is opened in S.C.

Latest posts