Hauling cattle 400 miles

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
I'm buying 7 head of heavy 7 weight heifers and have too haul them 400 miles home. I've got a 16' x 6' trailer. My concern is will they be too crowded for such a long haul in this heat. Oklahoma to Texas.

It will be fine. Just be sure to get them out let them walk, get some water and food at the rest stops. 😉🤡 Bahahahahaha!! Seriously I'd be certain more about making sure they had some water. I'd haul them at night or to get in Texas early morning to beat the heat.

Late or early, make sure your floor is in good shape .
And tires. On cars and trucks, people look at tread depth. Unless you are hauling a lot, that is no good for trailers. That long trip with a load will rain on your parade when a tire blows out and you are trying to change it in hot weather with a live load. The second tire that blows is hard to overcome if you only had one spare. Especially on a weekend.
When you see cracks, replace the tires. They will be older than you remember. May be ok to take the risk locally, but not on a long trip. Load, speed and hours on the road will give you a tough lesson on trailer tires. If you have fenders over the tires, you can throw those in the bed of the truck and try to beat them back into shape when you get back home. If you lose one tire, you need to replace them all.

Last edited:

Latest posts