Hat or baseball cap?

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Just curious if ya'll wear a widebrim hat or a baseball cap.
Back in the80's I worked on a farm-ranch up in Oklahoma.I was disking up a wheatfield,about 600 acres,with a jd tractor and open top. I always wore a baseball cap. I sunburned the back of my neck and ears so bad I wound up with a short stay in the hospital.Needless to say I found the reason a lot of the old timers wear a hat.I don't care what they look like or what people say about them,they sure serve a purpose in this hot Tex and Ok sun.

My thoughts anyhow.

Cal

grannysoo":i9xnus6g said:
Never a baseball cap.....

Always wear a hat when in the sun.

Same here... :hat:

Only I always wear a hat, sun, rain, whatever...

:cboy:

Real hat unless fencing in a lot of brush - then just a cap. Husband is a born and bred Tucson desert rat - caps only. Of course he has a ponytail so that covers most of the back of his neck.

Wore a hat for years. When I priced a replacement I went to free baseball caps.

Cap. Hats get torn up and cost too many nickels. Greasy hands. Windy here and they get blown under the brush hog etc.

I like a visor... that way I can put my pony anywhere on top my head, and don't have to worry about it being in the exact right place on a baseball cap.

Michele

I've always worn a cap since hats are kinda frowned on since we consider ourselves farmers and not ranchers. Of course, now that the doc has found skin cancer on my neck I reckon I should have worn a hat. I guess that's just the cost of being a true redneck.

I prefer the ball cap, but wear the straw hat in the summer. I just consider it Personal Protective Equipment. Neighbor developed skin cancer on his ear a few years back, doctor told him he needed to be wearing a wide brim hat and long sleeve shirts.

Free ain't so cheap when you might have to consider the expense of skin cancer. Never-the-less, I still wear a baseball cap sometimes. But mostly, it's a beat up, old straw hat, one that has been run over with a plow a couple of times and once it got wrapped up in a baler. I've missed the brush hog so far.

I have a straw hat that i use in the summer and and a cap for other times. My husband does not like hats so a ball cap. I sewed or glued velcro on the back of the hat and cut up an old t shirt, put the other end of the velco on the T and voila, shade for the ears and back of the neck that is not to heavy, and sightly breezy.

Latest posts