has anyone used a tool called a "calf catch"

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
stumbled upon this and was intrigued
remembering back to the last little one that needed some scour med and the rodeo we had catching him

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

Description from the website
Safe-T-Katch
Fully cushioned, plastic covered steel tool avoids bruises. Hook shape lessens kickout escapes. Safe-T-Katch is strong and durable. Easy to use, one size fits all. 6' 4" with forearm cradle.

It's been discussed on here before. I want to say by Frenchie, but I'm not certain on that. Perhaps if you do a search?

mdmdogs3":3jxk1sum said:
msscamp":3jxk1sum said:
It's been discussed on here before. I want to say by Frenchie, but I'm not certain on that. Perhaps if you do a search?

duh - never thought to do a search - (is there anything that hasn't already been discussed here before ;-) )

No biggie, and I truly did not mean my suggestion to be negative in any way - my apologies for not phrasing my suggestion better. :oops: I sincerely doubt it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use the second one at calving time when I've got aggressive dams that won't let me get close to the calves. The telescoping feature no longer works due to it getting bent when I clubbed an unco-operative cow with it, but overall I've been pretty happy with it. To be honest, I didn't like the telescoping feature all that much anyway. If you snagged a calf at 6 feet away, you didn't have any way to hold that length and it would always expand to its full length.

Rod

preston39":1bw5hf34 said:
I always like to look at new tools. But, with an agressive mom I fail to see how closeness for it's use eliminates mom's reaction?

I have a few cows out here that will let you get within a few feet of her and the calf, but won't let you touch the calf. For those, the catch works well. You can snag the calf, drag it into the sleigh and momma won't make a move on you. If you have a lunatic mom that won't let you within a hundred yards, all the calf catch in the world won't help you.

Rod

Used to use one all the time when we had wilder cows. It was great to hook them and pull them under the truck for ear tagging. :roll:
They work well for those of us who can't rope to get a hold of a wild calf that you want to treat out on the field too. One person hangs on while the other runs up to halter or throw a rope on.
They are handy.

msscamp":3hkglgfp said:
mdmdogs3":3hkglgfp said:
msscamp":3hkglgfp said:

duh - never thought to do a search - (is there anything that hasn't already been discussed here before ;-) )

No biggie, and I truly did not mean my suggestion to be negative in any way - my apologies for not phrasing my suggestion better. :oops: I sincerely doubt it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

you silly thing - I didn't take your suggestion as negative. You have nothing to apologize for.... :D
But again, why on earth did I not assume that this had not been discussed before.

Now I just have to figure out if it would help with our charolais calves since they get so big so fast.

Okay, this is sort of a dumb question...I've never heard of a calf-snagger, or calf-catcher before, so can someone please explain to me how it works? Thanks.

It has a hook on the end of it so you can catch one of the hind legs of the calf to get ahold of it. They are somewahat handy. We don't have one but I have used them at other places. Theyre real good at making the calf bawl and have the cow come back.

On the ones that are grouchy at birth, like all the 50 cows we just bought this fall, we just drive up close to them and I grab the calf and bring it up on the flatbed. Of course we catch them in the first 24 hrs after birth so the calves can't get going to fast.

There are several ways to catch the calf, just make sure of your safety. I went and tagged a calf the other day out of what I thought was one of the gentlest cows we have, this was her 4th. She was sniffing me and then all the sudden rolled me. You never can tell how they will react, so be careful.

mdmdogs3":21qj1iba said:
stumbled upon this and was intrigued
remembering back to the last little one that needed some scour med and the rodeo we had catching him

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

Description from the website
Safe-T-Katch
Fully cushioned, plastic covered steel tool avoids bruises. Hook shape lessens kickout escapes. Safe-T-Katch is strong and durable. Easy to use, one size fits all. 6' 4" with forearm cradle.

We used to use something similar to catch chickens. Seems like you could break a leg with a calf.

ENNOT":zg1s9ejw said:
It has a hook on the end of it so you can catch one of the hind legs of the calf to get ahold of it. They are somewahat handy. We don't have one but I have used them at other places. Theyre real good at making the calf bawl and have the cow come back.

On the ones that are grouchy at birth, like all the 50 cows we just bought this fall, we just drive up close to them and I grab the calf and bring it up on the flatbed. Of course we catch them in the first 24 hrs after birth so the calves can't get going to fast.

There are several ways to catch the calf, just make sure of your safety. I went and tagged a calf the other day out of what I thought was one of the gentlest cows we have, this was her 4th. She was sniffing me and then all the sudden rolled me. You never can tell how they will react, so be careful.

Okay, NOW I understand. Thanks ENNOT. :)

Before the wife bought me the leg catcher I made one out of some stuff I had laying around. Took a 7' stick of 3/4" PVC pipe and ran about 15' of rope through it, took one end of the rope and tied it around the pvc so it would slide down the pvc and out onto itself forming a noose when placed over something and pulled on. Tied the piece of rope coming out the other end to a metal snap, can attach to your 4 wheeler rack. Ride up to the calf, place loop over neck, pull back to cinch and you've got him. Got less than $5 in it. Works good if calf is tame but the leg catcher works better if they are a bit spirited.

cfpinz

I've seen this tool yall are talking about. We always called it a "rope on a stick".

Beef11":3k5isl7p said:
I've seen this tool yall are talking about. We always called it a "rope on a stick".

It's for those of us that don't like horses and can't throw from a 4wheeler. :lol:

cfpinz

Latest posts