Has anyone tried...

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
One of those GPS dog trackers?
I am thinking about one...
I usually follow her from the movement of the grass, as the fields around here are so tall..
But I worry that if I should lose track of her and she goes on point, I might not find her... She just won't break the point until the bird moves...

Sorry JC I haven't tried using one of those, but I have done some practice on those avalanche ones and if you get a good one and practice with them before you go out they work great.

Years ago we used a collar with a beeper. Made one type of sound when the dog was moving and another when they went on point. Before that I used a bell, but if the dog locks up there's no finding them until you bump into them.

Howdy ILH...
Now that is interesting... I'll bet that they work the same way...
I did not know that they made one for avalanche situations... But I'll assume that skiers wear some sort of beacon/antenna (transmitter) and Search & Rescue own the GPS meter to home in on the signal if they're buried in snow???
Then the other thought that would come to mind is that they might work the same way... That being said, I wonder if they cost the same $$$$... Sometimes identical systems will vary in $$$ based on what they are going to be used for... I.e Save a life buried under the snow... Find a dog in a field...
BTW Linda and I went down to Alzada, then up to Ekalaka, Miles City, Roundup, over to Lewistown and to Helena and back to Ronan... I thought that eastern Montana, while a bit dry, was really pretty... I really liked Roundup! But I have to say the 2 cheese burgers with chips and sodas that we had at the Wagon Wheel Cafe in Ekalaka for $4.30 was pretty impresive too... Not to mention that 4 out of the 5 roads that come into Ekalaka are gravel... Right along with Main St. :D
Chuck

dun":rstd6wu0 said:
Years ago we used a collar with a beeper. Made one type of sound when the dog was moving and another when they went on point. Before that I used a bell, but if the dog locks up there's no finding them until you bump into them.
Sound is a problem for me... Unless they're right under me, most of the time I don't even hear the birds get up any more.... Let alone a bell or a beeper...
I think that someone makes a harness with a flag on top.... Aside from it getting tangled up in the brush, that would give a better visual since it sticks up into the air another 18 to 24 inches...
Chuck

Just Curious":164ox90w said:
dun":164ox90w said:
Sound is a problem for me... Unless they're right under me, most of the time I don't even hear the birds get up any more.... Let alone a bell or a beeper...
I think that someone makes a harness with a flag on top.... Aside from it getting tangled up in the brush, that would give a better visual since it sticks up into the air another 18 to 24 inches...
Chuck

You could solve the problem the way I did. Move to the middle of the desert and hunt the local birds. Not much cover over a couple of inches high, surprising how a half dozen quail can hunker down in that stuff and be invisible to the eye.

The ones we played with were called Trackers, they looked like a paw track. Was told that they run about $250 a piece.
As for snow rescue they work really well. We were told to make sure if we are ever in an avalanche situation and we are taking a break to shut it off because after so much time they automatically turn from "receive" to "transmit". Not too good to have the other searchers walking towards you. :lol2: :lol2:
It also showed how many meters you were away from the one transmitting. Has a sling that goes over one shoulder and a belt that comes around your waist.

We had a good time walking through that parking lot looking like we were lost, especially when we kept circling this one tree, our instructor had put one up the tree for us to find.

Should have let me know you were that close. Lewistown isn't that far from us.

Latest posts