Has anyone noticed?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Just made a run to Walmart and left my husband unattended.. When we met up at the exit I saw that he had a full bag of stuff....Asked what he found to buy and turns out you can now get 22 bullets. He said the shelves were full of them..
Anyone ever find out why they were so hard to come by the last 8ish years?

The only place they've been hard to find around here is Walmart. The sporting goods stores have been well stocked for years.

cowgirl8":1n3whl0w said:
Just made a run to Walmart and left my husband unattended.. When we met up at the exit I saw that he had a full bag of stuff....Asked what he found to buy and turns out you can now get 22 bullets. He said the shelves were full of them..
Obama

M.Magis":5eb77k2w said:
The only place they've been hard to find around here is Walmart. The sporting goods stores have been well stocked for years.
Nah, i'm around a lot of gun people....they've been very hard to get. Even WC had trouble getting them and some powders..We were getting some 22s from a gun dealer who owns land out near us.. He couldn't get them most times, but when he did, he used them for trade or hoarded them because even he couldn't get them easily. Bass Pro would sell out of a shipment in minutes..There has not been 22s on the shelf for years at any stores. When we drove to Key West, we stopped off at various stores across the country they were not stocked anywhere...

I haven't had any trouble getting them (22lr) locally in the last 6-8 months.
I don't usually try at Walmart tho. Academy store is close enough and they've had plenty, as have the local gunshop.
2-4 years ago was a different story tho.

M-5":26793d3e said:
09 thru 14 they were hard to get since then they have been available but limited quantities , BHO and his radical Islamic agenda was the cause of the hoarding

I'm all for blaming BHO for things but I'm not following. Can you please explain a bit?

From 2008 to 2016 there were more guns and ammo sold and horded because of the political climate and the direction this country was headed Without getting too political , people were scared of the radical ties of the leaders and their associates which had deep roots in the Islamic states , also More ammo was being purchased buy the federal agencies unrelated to the military branches than ever before.

cowgirl8":15vzv4h1 said:
Started about 15-16 years ago when Kmart quit selling ammo after being petitioned by Columbine survivors.
Then more and more chains followed suit fearing potential lawsuits ect.
Whining Columbine survivors... ya never here any of the dead complaining.

cowgirl8":3drvaiv9 said:
M.Magis":3drvaiv9 said:
Nah, i'm around a lot of gun people....they've been very hard to get. Even WC had trouble getting them and some powders..We were getting some 22s from a gun dealer who owns land out near us.. He couldn't get them most times, but when he did, he used them for trade or hoarded them because even he couldn't get them easily. Bass Pro would sell out of a shipment in minutes..There has not been 22s on the shelf for years at any stores. When we drove to Key West, we stopped off at various stores across the country they were not stocked anywhere...

Don't believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. 22 bullets have always been available, you just had to over pay to get them.

http://ammoseek.com

They were hard to find for awhile but I never ran out. Cabelas, Academy and Gander Mountain have been well stocked for awhile now. Half the time I never remember Walmart carries ammo. I always get it at the hunting stores or gun shows.

Up until a couple of months ago you couldn't find a 22 bullet in this area. For years I simply never saw a single one in any store. That includes big box stores, local sporing goods stores, and Cabelas. A couple months ago they showed up everywhere but the price has gone up significantly.

Dave":3bf4akyp said:
Up until a couple of months ago you couldn't find a 22 bullet in this area. For years I simply never saw a single one in any store. That includes big box stores, local sporing goods stores, and Cabelas. A couple months ago they showed up everywhere but the price has gone up significantly.
We looked on our way to South Dakota too, when I went to Utah with my daughter, we looked there.. Any time we traveled, we looked. Kind of gave up plus we had hook ups with a dealer who on occasion would get a bucket of them and trade for tractor work. Back in Jan, husband bought a 22 rifle but was told he'd have to look hard for bullets, Atwoods didn't even have them when we bought it. He wanted the gun and just figured one day maybe they'll become available, plus he had his inside guy to get some ever so often...
I really don't think it had to do with people hoarding them. Its not my go to bullet when I think protection and you cant reload them. So that doesn't make any sense that they left the shelf quick because people were worried. We would ask managers who sold 22s bullets why they didn't have any, they always said, "We just cant get them."

cowgirl8":2hl0vtrk said:
M.Magis":2hl0vtrk said:
My response wasn't a question. I've had no trouble buying 22 ammo for at least 3 years, any brand and any style. Can't speak for the whole country, but its been relatively easy to get here for a long time

M.Magis":2n2m7kkz said:
cowgirl8":2n2m7kkz said:
M.Magis":2n2m7kkz said:
My response wasn't a question. I've had no trouble buying 22 ammo for at least 3 years, any brand and any style. Can't speak for the whole country, but its been relatively easy to get here for a long time

I bought a bunch of 22 bullets in October at $7.4 now you can buy them for $.4 :dunce: I never figured 11/8/16 would work out like it did. I feel a 22lr is about the best survival round available. And for personal protection it's not bad either, you have to be a fool to not aim for the head no matter what caliber your shooting. The new body armor is unbelievable.

True Grit Farms":1yj3f73e said:
M.Magis":1yj3f73e said:
cowgirl8":1yj3f73e said:

I bought a bunch of 22 bullets in October at $7.4 now you can buy them for $.4 :dunce: I never figured 11/8/16 would work out like it did. I feel a 22lr is about the best survival round available. And for personal protection it's not bad either, you have to be a fool to not aim for the head no matter what caliber your shooting. The new body armor is unbelievable.

Worst 22 injury I ever heard about guy got shot in the neck went through his throats and out the spine. Paralyzed him and he drowned on his own blood.

.22 around here was always available, not always in bulk quantities, and the price did go up.

It's an underrated round, it's one of the most lethal head shots.. power to penetrate the skull but not enough to go out.. apparently spins around in there and makes quite a mess.. Granted it's not a long range round, but on one of my target practice blocks of wood that's 2 1/2" thick of seasoned fir, it does go through it with a hollow point

22 ammo has been scarce in SE Texas for many years. Prices were high when you could find it. When Walmart or Academy would get a shipment, what the employees didn't scarf up got rationed 2 boxes at a time. I'm still not seeing large quantities like 500 round bricks.My wife would buy me a brick or two anytime she went to Walmart. They got really scarce about...let's see...2008...must have been George Bushs fault somehow!

Remington is laying off. Slow sales. There was rampant hoarding of guns and ammo the past few years due to fears (ultimately, one must fairly note, unfounded) that there would be gun control measures passed. So, the new regime is bad for gun and ammo manufacturers and their employees I guess? A weird world...

Latest posts