Has Anybody Got A Use for Fennel?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1020475.jpg

I planted some Fennel (and every other herb known to man) several years ago and it has really thrived. Re-seeds itself without fail. Smells like licorice. What's it good for, culinary wise? The only reason I haven't eradicated it by herbicide is that Butterfly caterpillars love it dearly, and I have a soft spot for butterflies.

I am relatively certain that fennel seed is used in the preparation of Italian Sausage. I would think that you could head over to the Food Network web site and find some recipes for making your own sausage using fennel seeds.

Good tip Bull buyer. I think you're right about fennel seed being in Italian sausage. Sausage making is the kind of thing I'd give a try. You gave me something to think about there.. 8)

I've heard that it can be sued like onions. I would go to some cooking web site and look it up and find a recipe you like cause it looks like you have a lot of that stuff.

Does it make bulbs or just fronds and seeds in the fall. The bulbs are very good if you split or quarter them , brush with olive oil and grill them until they are caramelized. Amazing flavor.

down here we call that disgusting pasture eating weed dog fennel...and we wish it would go away andnever come back..that stuff will eat yer pasture up faster than cows

May not be quite the same thing. Real fennel, the good stuf is hard to grow. Heck if I had known it grew wild down there I might have had a better time in Florida.

dieselbeef":hapbq84e said:
down here we call that disgusting pasture eating weed dog fennel...and we wish it would go away andnever come back..that stuff will eat yer pasture up faster than cows

Not dog fennel, dbeef. 3way, yeah I thought I was growing bulbs when I originally planted the fennel. I have seen those in the grocery store. This variety makes lots of fronds and seeds. Not much bulb. Gets 3-4 ft tall.

alabama":1wmhfmgl said:
2-4D will kill it before it gets in your pasture.
:lol: 24D is pretty tough on fennel. I threw some dried stalks over the fence last and some plants sprouted. The cows don't like this kind of fennel any better than the dog kind. It's not near as bad of a weed though.

Latest posts