Harvey Affect Dove Season

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Not too many birds flying this morning. I only shot 4. I didn't even see many song birds. There were some groups flying but not many and pretty darn high. Wondering if the storm affected the dove.

Lots of rain always scatters them.
But blame it more on warm weather to the north. You won't see anything but local birds. Until we get a good front.
One good thing . No doves means few fall army worms.. one of those old wife's tales I've found to be spot on.

Now that y'all mentioned it, I haven't heard a shot all day and the folks down the road are usually wearing them out.

TN Cattle Man":11nka52y said:
Raining pretty much here all day in Tennessee... didn't even think about going out hunting today!
That sucks, hunting is one of the few pleasures I get to endulge myself in. I don't have time for a lot of friends, nor have the desire. But time alone in the woods, man against animal in their own habitat is the only sport I am into. Opening day deer season rain or shine I am there.

Last year they didn't really show up on my place until October. Of course no one has any interest in hunting them then.

I went up with the family close to Wichita Falls on Saturday. Plenty of birds there. I shot well Saturday morning, couldn't hit anything in the afternoon. BBQ and beer will do that to you.

I don't dove hunt my place in October, I stop 2 weeks before to quiet down for archery season.

BK9954":109lxlww said:
I don't dove hunt my place in October, I stop 2 weeks before to quiet down for archery season.

Pretty good front coming should bring some birds with it. Gonna have to have some kinda grain field to hunt over. With all the standing water hunting tanks will be futile.
"Plant" some Milo for emergency fall grazing.. ;-) ;-)

callmefence":32ga9vd4 said:
BK9954":32ga9vd4 said:

Pretty good front coming should bring some birds with it. Gonna have to have some kinda grain field to hunt over. With all the standing water hunting tanks will be futile.
You know it's wierd, after posting my last post, had about 10 flocks of dove fly above in a time frame of 30 minutes, then that was it. My place is a fly zone from farm to farm. All I have on my place is grass, mesquite and a creek, I just have to try to get them when they are going from farm to farm and I use the flying decoys. Been looking for a farm to hunt but I just cant justify to pay to hunt dove. It's all I have seen all week besides local birds. My eyesight is not the best so I bring my daughter to help me spot.

callmefence":3l58eif2 said:
BK9954":3l58eif2 said:

My place was covered up with them until Harvey. Thing is where did they go South is worse shape than we are.
Shot at 10 birds over two hunts pretty pathetic considering you can usually get the barrel too hot to touch.

slick4591":2u1tnx3t said:
Friend and his buddy limits out in less than an hour.

Caustic Burno":2u1tnx3t said:
callmefence":2u1tnx3t said:
BK9954":2u1tnx3t said:

My place was covered up with them until Harvey. Thing is where did they go South is worse shape than we are.
Shot at 10 birds over two hunts pretty pathetic considering you can usually get the barrel too hot to touch.

Looks like they went to Slick's.

Latest posts