Harvest time

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I snuck out and took some pics of Dad doing some combining in the evening, just for a walk and the heck of it. ;-)
DSCF0040.JPG

DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF00441.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

Enjoy!

thats pretty neat neevr seen on of those towed behind a tractor before at least a newer ome

I can't tell from the pics. Is the combine offst behind the tractor. I'm like Glover. I've never seen anything like this before.It is pretty neat. Z

I've seen pull combines before just not modern rotors. Pretty good idea with the price of those fancy cabs and big engines.

I remember seeing a picture of a combine in The Draft Horse Journal several years ago of a combine powered by, I think it was, 34 mules. They were behind the combine in kind of a half pyrimid formation and there were men riding several scattered around. That had to be a fun job.Z

yep, combine's offset from the tractor. BTW, I believe that thing is older than me (had it for about 30 yrs), still works like a charm, thanks to dad's great mechanical skills when something breaks down (broke down twice this year :shock: ).

thanks for the responses! :)

I believe the combines started here in IL mid Aug. First time I think that most of the harvest will be done by end of September. It is wierd to me.. because harvest time is generally between Halloween and Thanksgiving. I know it give a great break to the farmer to harvest early, but with the drought, etc.. i just wonder if it is natural.

It does leave a long time off the tractor*L*. and I miss watching the combines on my fall color tour.

The most important thing to to harvest...and I really want an Oct hay crop...

Most of the time harvesting doesn't start till Sept-Oct (started around beginning of Sept. /end of August last year), but I guess ya gotta blame the weather ;-) . Just been harvesting barley, haven't started on the canola yet (I'm guessing...) and second cutting hay still has to be swathed... we're workinonit ;-) .

CUZ":34imor5t said:
Just curious, but what's the tractor and what's the combine? (Not what is a tractor, but what model. Same with the combine.)

Nice pics
Cuz

Tractor's a 7240 Case IH Magnum (Dad loves it, really easy and nice to drive ('cause I drove it myself a few times :D )), and the combine...can't remember...I'll have to ask Dad...

Uh oh, hope I didn't deter any one be me saying I liked Case IH...cause I do you know :p ... oh well...

Cuz, I still haven't found out what model that combine is, but I'll post on the weekend about it (not that it's overly important :roll: )

I saw my first tracked Case this spring. Seen a lot of JDs but this was the first Case. It was pulling a disc that looked like it was as wide as a football field. :shock: Z

MillIronQH":1uh0eu26 said:
I saw my first tracked Case this spring. Seen a lot of JDs but this was the first Case. It was pulling a disc that looked like it was as wide as a football field. :shock: Z

Saw my first tracked vehicle when I was 16 and even got to sit in it. He didn't keep it more than a few years and I don't know why except he may have had money problems.. That was almost 25 years ago. Saw a big man that came in and started using one around here on a fair amount of land several years ago.. He didn't use it this year. I always wonder if the track's maintenance could be cost efficient. I still don't know but would like too.

Latest posts