Harrington Richardson Ultra Slugger

Help Support CattleToday:

Celtic Cowman

Reaction score
Anyone use one? I currently use a smoothbore 870 for deer but the accuracy just isn't there. There are a number of posts on various websites that say the hr ultra sluggers are capable of sub-moa with the right slugs.
Any first hand knowledge in here?

Celtic Cowman":2doykqpn said:
Anyone use one? I currently use a smoothbore 870 for deer but the accuracy just isn't there. There are a number of posts on various websites that say the hr ultra sluggers are capable of sub-moa with the right slugs.
Any first hand knowledge in here?
Very accurate with sabot slugs. Heavier than a howitzer though.

I can highly recommend the Savage 212 Slugster. Mine will shoot under 2" at 100 yards which is plenty accurate for any slug gun. Bolt action, fully rifled barrel with a Leupold scope. I have killed scores of deer with it. I did shorten the stock about 3/4" because when they designed it they didn't take into account that most deer hunters will be wearing a thick coat.

I have a Remington 1187 which I bought from the slug doctor and I have killed deer 175 yds with it. The slug dr has a patent on what he does to those guns that makes them accurate. I shoot lightfield slugs. If you shoot any other slug you are shooting trash. best 1500 bucks I spent.

I have done some price checking and the Savage 220 is on sale nearby, $175 or so difference between it and the single shot. Probably going to jump on that. Thanks Hoss.

That sounds like a sweet deer killing machine skyhigh but a little out of the price range I set myself. The shotgun season is just a week here and I hope to have my one tag filled during archery season when the archery Gods smile on me! That plus there is the possibility of a group of gun grabbing politicians getting elected here next year and anything semi auto might be restricted or banned.

I did check out the Slug Gun Doctors site, here is the link if anyone else would like to check it out.
http://www.buckmasters.com/the-slug-gun-doctor-1.aspx
Thanks again guys.

Gotta laugh at myself, going on a mission to buy a gun and trying to find "value" and setting a price for myself.

Brand new A-bolt on the way!! woooohooo :lol: :banana: :clap: :lol: ;-)

Celtic Cowman":39tcsrq6 said:
I have done some price checking and the Savage 220 is on sale nearby, $175 or so difference between it and the single shot. Probably going to jump on that. Thanks Hoss.

That sounds like a sweet deer killing machine skyhigh but a little out of the price range I set myself. The shotgun season is just a week here and I hope to have my one tag filled during archery season when the archery Gods smile on me! That plus there is the possibility of a group of gun grabbing politicians getting elected here next year and anything semi auto might be restricted or banned.

I did check out the Slug Gun Doctors site, here is the link if anyone else would like to check it out.
http://www.buckmasters.com/the-slug-gun-doctor-1.aspx
Thanks again guys.

Yes sir ... I hope whatever choice you make suits you and serves you well. :D

Latest posts