Harley sales are down........

Help Support CattleToday:

They are just not practical any more. Both of my parents are Harley people. They met through local motorcycle clubs and groups. I grew up going Laconia Bike Weekend with my dad. They still do have their bikes. My mother just bought a new Indian. I will probably never own one. I'm generation Z.
1. They are very dangerous
2. They are ridiculously expensive
3. There is no time anymore
I would love to own one but they are just not practical at the moment.

If I want to drive something loud, no a/c and with lots of iron, i'll drive my 3010. Other wise a truck works fine.

HDRider":2bg0258b said:
Few machines have a soul. Harley's do, and they stir the human soul.
I've test rode everything over over 1300 cc besides a BMW, and Harley's are at the bottom and Honda is at the top on my list. I really want a new Harley but I can't see my soul over riding my brain.

Atimm693":2kv53cez said:
I'm 25 and have had 5 bikes, none were Harley's, I have ridden one and I would not want one. Loud, lousy fuel economy, heavy as a small car, the vibration is awful, and they're expensive. Harley is nothing more than a brand and an image that screams "look at me."

I'm not big into cycling anymore, I guess I finally hit the age where you start to realize your own mortality, I'd still like to have a dual sport for screwing around on the local back roads, but I have no desire to ride in the city again.

I didn't figure out the mortality thing until I was 45. Congrats!

True Grit Farms":1414jndl said:
HDRider":1414jndl said:
I've test rode everything over over 1300 cc besides a BMW, and Harley's are at the bottom and Honda is at the top on my list. I really want a new Harley but I can't see my soul over riding my brain.
Why did you not test the BMW?

Atimm693":e4au48ew said:
greybeard":e4au48ew said:
"heavy as a small car"....

My brother had a big cruiser bike the last few years (Japanese, not HD) and finally just parked it a few months, then took it down to a dealer to sell on consignment. Why?
He loved riding it, but came to realize if he ever dropped it, laid it down, or it fell, he wouldn't be able to get it back up again by himself. He lost balance one day at his driveway while getting the mail and had to let it fall, then had to go get a neighbor to help him get it back up. I think that was the final straw.

In most situations, using the right technique, anyone should be able to lift a cruiser.

Skip to 2:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlUMiiuKag
He had significant health problems at the time. The big bike was a bucket list thing. There lots of things he couldn't do.

HDRider":3itift4f said:
True Grit Farms":3itift4f said:
HDRider":3itift4f said:
Logistics of parts and having the bike worked on for starters. And I'm not really sophisticated enough to hang with the BMW crowd.

HDRider":m058y19n said:
True Grit Farms":m058y19n said:
HDRider":m058y19n said:

HDRider, you have any thoughts on the BMWs? Supposedly very nice, smooth bikes.

bball":gvsf3uy2 said:
HDRider":gvsf3uy2 said:
True Grit Farms":gvsf3uy2 said:

HDRider, you have any thoughts on the BMWs? Supposedly very nice, smooth bikes.
BMWs are very good bikes. Quality wise as good as Honda. BMW's have very loyal followers.

There are lots of great bikes. I have had Hondas. Can't beat them. I liked them.

I love HDs.

True Grit Farms":2uvbwrn3 said:
HDRider":2uvbwrn3 said:
True Grit Farms":2uvbwrn3 said:
Logistics of parts and having the bike worked on for starters. And I'm not really sophisticated enough to hang with the BMW crowd.
You owe it to yourself to at least test ride some.

Are you looking at cruisers, or touring bikes?

True Grit Farms":2bpup90w said:
HDRider":2bpup90w said:
True Grit Farms":2bpup90w said:

I've seen some guys take a BMW adventure bike through places I wouldn't take an ATV, or a boat for that matter. They're a different breed though.

Atimm693":b5eim0w6 said:
True Grit Farms":b5eim0w6 said:
HDRider":b5eim0w6 said:

I've seen some guys take a BMW adventure bike through places I wouldn't take an ATV, or a boat for that matter. They're a different breed though.
If it is 10 degrees and you meet a bike, mark my words, it will be a BMW.

HDRider":3ccnsrij said:
Atimm693":3ccnsrij said:
True Grit Farms":3ccnsrij said:

If it is 10 degrees and you meet a bike, mark my words, it will be a BMW.

I rode a Honda XR250L 28 miles each way to college for four years. Many mornings it was below 0. Had very little sense and even less money back then. I would have killed to have had a BMW, or anything with a windsheld for that matter. No way I would even think of getting on a bike if it is colder than 60 now.

Ya'll grown men extolling the youngsters to ride bikes haven't seen your son's bike looking a piece of modern art. Pile of scrap metal. Would turn your stomach.
Life is a gift. Use it wisely.
Please.

boondocks":3ax12sl9 said:
Ya'll grown men extolling the youngsters to ride bikes haven't seen your son's bike looking a piece of modern art. Pile of scrap metal. Would turn your stomach.
Please.
We've also seen farm tractors, cars, pickup trucks, airplanes, cow pens, helicopters and skyscrapers look the same way.
It ain't dying being talked about.it's living.
Be careful, but live it.

boondocks":9xmtw4ap said:
Please.
I been on that.

boondocks":2e61cwdg said:
Please.
My wife reminds my of that regular, we met after I had a bad crash on one of my bikes and was walking with a cane. I only lack a couple hours and my solo from getting my pilots license. And she says I might as well just get a single seat plane because she's not going to fly with me either. I told her a while back maybe she was getting to old for me, that didn't fly very well.

True Grit Farms":1yav7x9m said:
boondocks":1yav7x9m said:
Please.
My wife reminds my of that regular, we met after I had a bad crash on one of my bikes and was walking with a cane. I only lack a couple hours and my solo from getting my pilots license. And she says I might as well just get a single seat plane because she's not going to fly with me either. I told her a while back maybe she was getting to old for me, that didn't fly very well.

Better tame that tongue of yours or you're gonna need that cane and a wheelchair :lol2:

Latest posts