Hardshell possum

Help Support CattleToday:

bward":1m4ravtz said:
So whats the deal with armidillos? Why do you have to shoot them? We shoot ground squirrels ( thousands of them ) and skunks and porqupines and badgers.
We don't have armidillos up here so i have never seen one alive. What makes them a pest?

Basically they tear up the ground and dig holes everywhere. I was out spraying the other day and kept dropping the front tire of the tractor in their holes. I have a cow limping that I suspect may have stuck her leg in one of the holes. The make big holes too.

flaboy,
Does the laser addition help with accuracy? I achieved a sharpshooter status in the army with the 44...but my 38 S&W doesn't perform as nice for me. A laser may be the ticket.

preston39":21ivxngi said:
flaboy,
Does the laser addition help with accuracy? I achieved a sharpshooter status in the army with the 44...but my 38 S&W doesn't perform as nice for me. A laser may be the ticket.
Was that in the militant wing of the Salvation Army?
Was that with a Daisy or a Crosman? Funny can't remember the military even using .44's.AS a matter of fact, why would a sharpshooter even shoot a .44.? Accuracy is limited.Let me guess, you shot an apple off a goats head at 300 yds...

Crowderfarms":6svm2gqc said:
preston39":6svm2gqc said:
flaboy,
Was that in the militant wing of the Salvation Army?
Was that with a Daisy or a Crosman? Funny can't remember the military even using .44's.AS a matter of fact, why would a sharpshooter even shoot a .44.? Accuracy is limited.Let me guess, you shot an apple off a goats head at 300 yds...

Dang Crowder they used them 44's in the War between the States.

I wasn't aware of the army ever using 44's. I thought they were 45's . Silly me. Do they use 9mm now?

preston39":2e4t66d4 said:
I achieved a sharpshooter status in the army with the 44...
Prestone
Are you sure that you were ever a sharpshooter in the army. Do you have and can show proof that you have earned sharpshooter status with the .44

A laser sight is no more accurate than the squeezer. Just like iron sights you have to hold it on target. The good thing about the laser is you just have to put the dot on the target and not line up sights at night that you can't see. When mounting the laser on the pistol it still has to be zero'd to the laser. Actually the laser is zero'd to the gun just like a scope would be.

flaboy":37pkbpiy said:
bward":37pkbpiy said:
So whats the deal with armidillos? Why do you have to shoot them? We shoot ground squirrels ( thousands of them ) and skunks and porqupines and badgers.
We don't have armidillos up here so i have never seen one alive. What makes them a pest?

Basically they tear up the ground and dig holes everywhere. I was out spraying the other day and kept dropping the front tire of the tractor in their holes. I have a cow limping that I suspect may have stuck her leg in one of the holes. The make big holes too.
They have been known to carry Leprosy also :shock

Pretty sad when even the vultures are passing the stinking thing and not even landing near it. How nasty does something have to be to turn a buzzard off?

dun

ctlbaron":3rymgdwe said:
Possums and buzzards won't eat a cat either.

I noticed when I dumped a dead cat and adead skunk out in the pasture that the buzzards were on the skunk the next morning. It was at least two weeks before they even touched the cat. Maybe it's the same with dillers

dun

dun":litkw55g said:
ctlbaron":litkw55g said:
Possums and buzzards won't eat a cat either.

I noticed when I dumped a dead cat and adead skunk out in the pasture that the buzzards were on the skunk the next morning. It was at least two weeks before they even touched the cat. Maybe it's the same with dillers

dun

Our buzzards will eat a diller. Maybe we just don't feed them enough. :lol:

A brother of mine quailified as a sharpshooter in the service(navy), it was kinda a big deal in the family cause he and my grandfather were the only ones in the family that had trophys for sharp shooting. But his gun of choice was a High Standard 22 with a six inch bull barrell.Maybe they let you quailify with a private sidearm if you want.

Campground Cattle you know where I can get one of those John Wayne 38's that was listed on your link?
Noticed the basic load was 18 rounds!!!!!! :shock:
That cylinder must be 6 inchs around.

flaboy I used crossman's laser for air/pellet rifles on a Nylon 66 with a double aa mag light taped to bottom of the barrell. So far the sights have stayed close to zero and I'm not gentle with this gun. Pleasantly surprised since it only cost $15. The projection during daylight isn't great but this gun usually only goes out at night

dj":1znxx5al said:
Campground Cattle you know where I can get one of those John Wayne 38's that was listed on your link?
Noticed the basic load was 18 rounds!!!!!! :shock:
That cylinder must be 6 inchs around.

thats a loaded weapon with two speed loaders. basic load is the amount of ammo a serviceman would normally carry. youll notice that the 9mm and .45 also have a basic load thats 3x the clip capacity

My friends......knew a feller that was a sharp shooter with a 105! Was well respected by all...specially those little fellers crawling around the jungle... seemed thay were all named Charlie or something, aint never figured out why? Got to tell ya..I just aint never seen a .44 strapped on no soldier's hip before. Unless Clint Eastwood was doing military duty? :roll:

Whilst helping the USFS look for the space shuttle in Texas a couple years ago, I was first introduced to those little dillers, kinda thought they were so dang ugly they was cute,maybe we could call them all Charlie as well..................seems that we were constantly stopping the search line so them NASA experts could poke their high dollar instruments in those holes to to see if it was a dillo or piece of shuttle down there... or maybe even both....................yup..smelly little buggers aint they?
My wife was with us, she was working as a field medical person, and she stepped on a live one...a dillo, not a grenade...or even a .44 for that matter, now that was funny. :shock: :lol: :lol: thought I was gonna have to go back and get her extra pair of nickers. and a pair for me as well as I was laughing so hard. :cboy:

Latest posts