Hardshell possum

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Discovered this morning that armidillos are a lot tougher then I had expected. 3 solid body hits with a hollow point 22 lr to finally dispatch the bugger. Of course the hits weren't exactly where I wanted them. Hard to hold a fQ-Beam in one hand and shoot a pistol accurately. It is for me anyway at 30 feet.

dun

We have a diller problems here also. What I did was go buy one of those cheap laser beam sites. It projects a nice little red dot on them suckers. No need to hold the light and aim. Just hold the light, put the red dot on the diller and squeeze.

I needed the light just to be able to find it. I'm thinking of drilling and tapping the bottom of the barrel on an old 22 rifle and mounting a mag-light on it.

dun

dun":2nau2twz said:
I needed the light just to be able to find it. I'm thinking of drilling and tapping the bottom of the barrel on an old 22 rifle and mounting a mag-light on it.

dun

Yeah, I usually hold the flash light in one hand the pistol in the other. With the laser beam it works real well. Just point and shoot when the red dot shows up on the diller. I too grew tired of trying to hold the light where I could see the sites. I think I paid $20 for this thing. Clips on the trigger guard.

Dun, when it's dark and I'm after something small and using a .22 pistol I wear a headlamp to light up my sights and also keep my front sight post painted with white out which makes it really stand out. Then I use a flashlight to light up whatever I'm trying to hit.

Next time your at Wal-Mart see if yours carries the Brinkman Maxfire LX or XL (don't remember which) flashlight. It's only about 6 inches long and puts out a light brighter than my 4 D cell mag light and are priced at $19.95. They do use the expensive lithium batteries but you can get them cheap on e-bay. Just make sure you don't order from the guy selling out of Hong Kong as his shipping will kill ya'.

Dillers can be hard to kill with one shot unless you get them in their tiny little head which takes some doing.

J

I use my rifle at night, I just hold a small flash light under the forearm to line it up. The head lamp EIEIO talked about would work well also. The .22 Mag. normally will roll them over with one shot as long as it's not too far back. :roll:

Dun, I was out checking the cows with my brother last week and saw one but we didn't have a gun with us. I pulled out my machette and slipped up behind him quietly. One stroke almost took his head off, I had forgotten how high they can flop around.

;-)

TLCfromARK":269kms86 said:
Dun, I was out checking the cows with my brother last week and saw one but we didn't have a gun with us. I pulled out my machette and slipped up behind him quietly. One stroke almost took his head off, I had forgotten how high they can flop around.

;-)

Yeah not only do they jump high and flop around they also sling blood everywhere. Been a mess a few times after one of my diller safari's. :lol:

flaboy":26mas1bx said:
We have a diller problems here also. What I did was go buy one of those cheap laser beam sites. It projects a nice little red dot on them suckers. No need to hold the light and aim. Just hold the light, put the red dot on the diller and squeeze.
How far out will that laser reach?
Would it work on a carbine?
Brand name?

Ryder":1ledlys3 said:
Brand name?

At night I have been able to see it out to about 100 feet or so. It gets a little fuzzy that far out. There are better units but then they cost more also. I'm sure it would work on a carbine if you can get it mounted. They amke them to clip on rifle barrels also but I don't have one. Here's the one I have on my diller pistol.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 9?v=glance

It says 500yds but....

My father-in-law has gotten obsessed with catching this armadillo that resides under his house. They moved out to the "country" 3 years ago. Their neighbors reside about 50 to 200 yards away, but the woods are so thick you can't see their houses. He was convinced that a piece of raw pork would lure him into the trap. I told him he was going to catch a coon or a possum. "Oh, no, we don't have those here! They are at the neighbors!" I had to laugh. City folks.

Sure enough, next morning I was the first one up and there was a possum in the trap. But, something had eaten all of its legs and tail! The trap had been moved and turned over. I told my father-in-law that I thought a dog or bobcat got it, but he said the neighbor's cat or the foxes probably got it. I explained that neither is near big enough to accomplish that. Then I suggested that it was the armadillo. :D

I didn;t realize those things would start to stink sooooo bad in such a short period of time. Of course it is 104 today, but still

dun

So whats the deal with armidillos? Why do you have to shoot them? We shoot ground squirrels ( thousands of them ) and skunks and porqupines and badgers.
We don't have armidillos up here so i have never seen one alive. What makes them a pest?

CopeMan":1kkgk783 said:
I think possums smell almost as bad as a polecat!!
But once they hit the skillet. You'll want seconds. Possum the other white meat.BTW, Copeman, what were you doing sniffing a possum?

flaboy":3mde6nnm said:
Ryder":3mde6nnm said:
Brand name?

At night I have been able to see it out to about 100 feet or so. It gets a little fuzzy that far out. There are better units but then they cost more also. I'm sure it would work on a carbine if you can get it mounted. They amke them to clip on rifle barrels also but I don't have one. Here's the one I have on my diller pistol.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 9?v=glance
Thanks for the info. I may just give that a try.

It says 500yds but....
Thanks for the info. I just may give that a try.

D.R. Cattle":ethfcwc4 said:
Just use something a little more forgiving- like a shotgun.
I can miss with shotguns without hardly trying. I shoot right handed but have a little problem with my right eye. I'm ok with pistol as I can use a Weaver stance in such a way as to aim with left eye.

D.R. Cattle shotgun works great unless the dog is with ya' trying to lend a hand. My mountain cur just seems to know when I'm gonna shoot and backs off so I like the .22 on the small stuff. Been trying to convince myself to buy a Stoeger Coach Gun in 20 ga. for such things.

Regarding lasers they need sighted in and have these really small allen wrenches used for sighting. I've got a Lasermax on my Glock 17(9mm). Cost about $250 and replaced the internal guide rod in it and there was no need for any sighting in as it's right on the money every time and I also have a tactical light on it's rail that really light's up the night. Other than Lasermax the only real good lasers out there are Crimson Trace. The cheap one's do work but they take some time getting them on the money.

Dun, you never mentioned if your dog had rolled around on the dead diller yet?

J

EIEIO":1hozlt96 said:
Dun, you never mentioned if your dog had rolled around on the dead diller yet?

J

Kept her away from it. That's one little joy that I would just as soon not experience.

dun

Latest posts