Hard to heat detect heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Ok here is the situation, I have set up 3 heifers and a cow to ai. The protocol I used was GNRH cidr,7 days pull cidr Shot of estrumate , use heat detect patch.
1. cow came into heat ai'd, one heifer came in to heat, patch was off, found patch in manure so I ai'd and gave a shot of gnrh.
2. 2 heifers had scatches on patch but that was it. I intended to wait 54hrs and ai and give gnrh. But some how time got away from me and I was half expecting them to be caught standing.But.....didn't happen!(have a hard time aiing without a visual standing heat).

Whats my next step?? start over same protocol?? How long do I wait or can I start it over now? Its been 5 days since PG was given! ( I have seen both of these heifers in heat before) so they seem to be cycling
:help:

Item 2. The two heifers with scratches on patch. Could have been scratching on a tree limb. Without any other data. Chalk it down as they did not come into the ovulation phase of estrus. Repeat. You need more than scratches. Has to be some evidence of ovulation behavior even innuendos such as sniffing, chin resting, red swollen vulva....

BryanM":txs5spud said:
can I repeat right away or should I wait?

The first shot of GnRH will reset them. At this point, you have no information on where their cycle is. I recommend you check with your vet or semen supplier.

I didn't ai til patch was completely rubbed. I also found to place the patch further from the tail head, but not so far the switch would rub it if she was swatting her tail. There is a "sweet spot" where you will have less trouble.

Per conversation with Kenley Conner, Mid America Select Sires Representative. Give them 7 to 14 days from the Lut shot and repeat.

He cautioned that heifers are notorious for skipping cycles. I too have seen that in very young heifers - less than a year old.

Bright Raven":3iubesk4 said:
Item 2. The two heifers with scratches on patch. Could have been scratching on a tree limb. Without any other data. Chalk it down as they did not come into the ovulation phase of estrus. Repeat. You need more than scratches. Has to be some evidence of ovulation behavior even innuendos such as sniffing, chin resting, red swollen vulva....
Sums it up well

Latest posts