Hard pull weak calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
Yesterday morning started off with a late cow coming up for feed with her water bag hanging out. Acting as if nothing was going on, from past experience I knew that probably wasn't good. Sure enough calf was upside down. Reached in and got chains on both feet, was able to get the feet slightly out, and get the calf flipped most of the way over. After some very hard pulling was able to deliver it. To make matters worse the cow went absoulty nuts. Not the bluffing kind some do, hitting the coral panels at full speed trying to come after me. Had no other option other than to let her out before she killed herself, or tore my pens completly up. Had no intrest in the calf. Here's my question. The whole deal took a little over an hour. Very large, weighed 103 lbs. Calfs tounge was starting to swell, but I have seen much worse. Calf was very tired as you could expect, tube fed colostrum within an hour. Gave her 1/2 bottle last night, and again this morning. Had to tube again tonight. Calf is still weak, can stand on its own but has a hard time walking. As a lot of big calves have her front hooves want to bend over and walk on her ankles(she is already getting better) tonight she seems very warm and laboring breathing. (I don't have a thermometer, will be getting one this week, put it off too long) gave her a shot of bannamine and pored some cool water down her back. She does not show signs of oxegen deprivation (atleast of what I have seen in the past) anything else I can do for her? What are the odds of her coming around? Hope everything makes sense, typed this on my phone. Any comments or advice is much appreciated

Sounds like it should come around fine with a bit of time. Not sure where you are or the temperature, but keep it dry, clean, warm and fed.

Whats the cows history? No free rides here, does her job or shes gone.

For calves similar, hard delivery, swollen tongue, lethargic, here is what I have done, or the vet did when I took them in.'

In addition to colostrum, banamine - nuflor every 48 hrs for infection, B complex every 4 days for vigor, Sustain bolus in case of scours(two total 72 hrs apart, crushed in bottle if necessary).

The swollen tongue should go down enough in three or four days to where he can suck. That has been my experience, if you can keep them going that long.

jkwilson":2z0e5txv said:
Are you in an area that has low soil selenium? If so, a couple of cc of selenium can work wonders.
I would give a shot of selenium and vitamin b

Great, thank you guys. I will give a shot of B. I'm not sure on the soil issue. I have never heard of that. I live in se Kansas. Cows are fed high quality loose minerals all season long. Reguards to the cow, she will be moved on down the line. Life is too short to deal with cows like her

Tbrake":2zc1tmqf said:
Great, thank you guys. I will give a shot of B. I'm not sure on the soil issue. I have never heard of that. I live in se Kansas. Cows are fed high quality loose minerals all season long. Reguards to the cow, she will be moved on down the line. Life is too short to deal with cows like her
Unless you are in an exceptionally high selenium area a shot of it won;t hurt and may help. I've been surprised at it's possible affect for us a few times. You have to get it from the vet so if it is contraindicated he/she would tell you

I will give that a shot. Calf is in bad shape this morning. Had to tube feed again, back to breathing hard and heart beating fast. Not looking good.

Still breathing hard. Doesn't not sound raspy to my naked ear like pneumonia. When ahead and have shot of nuflor

Went out Tuesday mid day to find the calf laid out flat and breathing very hard. Attempted to role her back over to a more natural position, thinking that would help her breathing. Her eyes rolled back and almost instantly suffocated. Never had anything quite like that happen. Last couple weeks have been rough. Lost 2 to major flooding and 2 from calving issues. Until this streak things have been very smooth, went 65 for 67 on jan/feb babies. Thanks to everyone who helped

Latest posts