• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hard Calver

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I work at my University's dairy farm and we have a first calf Holstein heifer that has been having some trouble calving. She is a decent sized heifer, not overweight, healthy. She has been in a labor for about two days. Vet went in and the calf is in normal position, and not partway out or anything, just hanging out inside still and still alive. Calf is of normal size as well. Today she really wasn't doing well, laying right out on her side, head and legs straight out. But tonight we got her up and took her a couple of (slow) laps around the barn and got her nibbling and drinking. She's only two days overdue. Her twin calved two days ago, no problem. At home I've never had any calve this long and hard, and I was just interested in hearing about everyone's experiences, how it turned out and why this might be happening.

dun

Reaction score
She is obviously not in true labor yet, sort of the pre-labor part. Unless she is really straining for more then a once in a while deal, just keep an eye on her. If she really starts to sstrain for more then a few minutes, then is the time to see what's going on

regolith

Reaction score
That wouldn't be my heifer, because if the cervix is fully relaxed I'd have pulled the calf by now.

I've seen a few of these - calf alive and content, everything appears normal. I don't leave them overnight, basically. If she's been going six hours or so and there's still no sign of the feet it gets hauled out. Then the calf shakes its head, gets to its feet and starts sucking... I don't know why they do it.

If it's an older cow and I find the calf is fine, I'd treat her for milk fever before turning her out to get on with calving. But most of those I seem to end up bringing back in anyway 3 - 4 hours later to pull the calf.