Handling a newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

And don;t believe that keeping the calf between you and momma will keep her fomr getting to you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn;t.

I band and tag at birth most of the time. Let the calf get a belly full of milk and get laid down. Momma will slip off to the tank maybe. Get in and get out quick. Some cows never get far from that calf. Some do. Once that calf is a few days old it's going to have to be thrown and held if you miss it. I generally wait until pasture rotation and cut the calf out of the alley if that's the case.

Calves getting colostrums means something is seriously wrong with momma. That's a completely different situation. He/she is coming all the way to the house 23 miles away. Tie the feet and into the floor board of the truck. Rarely happens but it does.

Red Bull Breeder":3g882g8x said:
If momma is just a standing there with unreadable look on her face your ok. When she decides to get you that look will very readable.
The problem is the interval between the different looks. If you see it change it's already too late

Take a well trained dog with you. Lie it down just inside her flight zone. Cow will pay attention to the dog not you. If the calf bawls move the dog real quick to keep the cows attention on it.

The best idea is the video of the mule keeping the cows backed off that was posted a while back.

Howdyjabo":1wi0dcfv said:
Take a well trained dog with you. Lie it down just inside her flight zone. Cow will pay attention to the dog not you. If the calf bawls move the dog real quick to keep the cows attention on it.

The best idea is the video of the mule keeping the cows backed off that was posted a while back.
you bring a dog ijn my calving pastures when they have babies you are gonna cause more of a wreck then if you just go tag the calf
Yes I am like using dogs but with my cows a dog in the pasture with babies is a train wreck
which I like keeps strays and yotes from bothering calves

I don't know your cattle. No one can tell you how or if you can handle one of your newborn calves without knowing you and your animals. Cow are all individuals and it is a good idea to get to know them before calving. Learn how to read body language. When in doubt play it safe. All of our cows, with the exception of 2, can have their newborn calves handled within moments of birth. The other two need an hour or two for the hormones to subside.
I had a cow having a calf at -40 this year. I saw the feet and jumped out to start wrapping it in towels as it was coming. She had a cap on to protect her ears before the shoulders were out. When she was fully out I unwrapped her let the cow have a lick then wrapped her back up and took her to the house until she was dry - reuniting them in the barn a couple of hours later. The cow took her back without question. These are the type of cows I want in our herd. Sometimes you have to help and it is so much nicer doing it with quiet cows. Personally I got tired of trying to have two people, ropes, a truck etc. etc just to help a sick calf. I weigh and tag all of our calves in front of the cow. If for some reason I don't feel safe doing that they don't get weighed and the cow goes to the auction market in the fall.
Now when we had tough cows that would try to kill us we would back a truck up to the calf then rope the back legs, rope the front legs and then pull it into the back of the truck. This worked unless the cow tried to jump in after it then you end up out the other side pretty quick. :lol2:
We also had a shepherd's crook. They are long metal rods with a crooked end to hook around a leg of a calf. Some cows are fine with you if you are further away so you can use the crook to pull the calf a few feet through a gate or under a truck. If you are quick you can pull them under the truck on the passenger side with the cow on the drivers side and have it in the cab or calf box before she can get around.

If it causes trouble the dog is too close and/or has the wrong attitude. The cows should just be watching it ready to react but no reason to yet. I've used it on cows that have never been worked with dogs-- its definitely easier with cows that are used to the dog.

Howdyjabo":3h1f3t2y said:
If it causes trouble the dog is too close and/or has the wrong attitude. The cows should just be watching it ready to react but no reason to yet. I've used it on cows that have never been worked with dogs-- its definitely easier with cows that are used to the dog.
NO it isn't a problem with the dog at all
When my cows are calving a dog isn't safe in the calving pastures at all
my cows will put one on the run in a hurry for just trotting thru
you will have the majority of the cows gather the calves and about 5-10 will come take care of the dog

Angus Cowman":e87gsb71 said:
Howdyjabo":e87gsb71 said:
NO it isn't a problem with the dog at all
When my cows are calving a dog isn't safe in the calving pastures at all
my cows will put one on the run in a hurry for just trotting thru
you will have the majority of the cows gather the calves and about 5-10 will come take care of the dog
Mine do the same thing, but it doesn;t have to even go through the pasture. Just seeing it in the lane or hearing a dog bark does it.

Hi Ruark, I really think it depends on your cows. We like protective vigilant cows but we don't keep them if they're aggressive towards us. That said, others are right when they say you must be careful no matter what.

Here are a few methods we use depending on the agility of the calf. We do all these things with two people and we watch each others backs. New calves are easy enough to work in the field, especially if you can do it when mom isn't watching. When we can't be sneaky about it, we do end up with upset cows and aunties bellowing in our faces. With newborn calves, you can also drive a truck into the field and pull the calf into the bed. If the cow can't handle that, drive a little ways off and more than likely she'll keep looking for the calf where she left it, then you can return it when you're done. For more agile calves, we wait till they come up to the water trough with the cow. There, we have a couple of options, like opening the barn door, shooing in the calf and locking the cow out. Can also run them both through your pens and work the calf while the mom is in the chute or a separate pen.

Howdyjabo":39sccpm2 said:
My cattle always ignored the Pyrenees. She slept right in the middle of them, I've seen them lick her and every evening it seemed like she was "counting cows"...when one calved she would lay down about 10-12 feet away and watch....and the cows watched her....but did not want her any closer and would give her a low toned warning. They understood each other...other dogs might be different. A day or two after calving everything was back to normal.

2/B: I'm thinking that's going to be the best approach. Any cattle on my place are very calm and will eat out of your hand; I can just lead mama into the alley and head gate and borrow the calf for a minute while she's preoccupied.

Dogs: darn right. My neighbor has 5 or 6 huge longhorn steers and cows. When I'm walking anywhere near that fenceline with our dog, a couple of them will come CHARGING up to the fence like they were going to plow right through it, with the others close behind. I can't imagine what would happen if that fence weren't there.

Ruark, I tag and give my calves shot of Selenium when they are born. Most of my cows will let me do my job while standing there mooing. I have a few that need a day or too to settle down so I do one of two things. I have a 3 point hitch square bale carrier on the back of the tractor with a bottom and a front rack. I will put the calf on the carrier in the up position and get up there with it to do my work and the cow is able to see and sniff the calf while not being in the way. I also can get the calf under the hot wire that surrounds the round bale lot while the mama stays on the other side watching. If it works out that I just can't get a hold of the calf, I just wait till I have the herd in the corrals to get the calf and tag it. The main thing is to stay safe for you and your family's sake.

BW

Latest posts