Ham theft..............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... ar-BBN9aXd

Ohio grocery store employee facing felony theft charges for eating $9,200 of deli ham

The unnamed employee worked in Bolivar at the grocery chain Giant Eagle for eight years – during that time authorities say she helped herself to three to five slices of ham every day, totaling $9,200 in lost revenue. Authorities say she would also sometimes eat salami.

The Associated Press reports that the store's loss prevention manager received a tip that the employee had been eating the meat slices for years.

The woman is facing potential felony theft charges, however, Tuscarawas County Sheriff's Office said in a statement on Facebook that "felony charges are unlikely."

"While our office did take a report of the issue as requested by the store, no determination of charges has been made. The procedure is to send the report to the Prosecutor's Office and they are the ones to decide.

"While my office does not have the authority to make the final decision in this case, I do feel confident that once all of the facts are relayed to the Prosecutor, Felony charges are unlikely," the statement read before adding that no arrests and "no formal filing of charges" had happened.

jltrent":c2rr6x8t said:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/ohio-grocery-store-employee-facing-felony-theft-charges-for-eating-dollar9200-of-deli-ham/ar-BBN9aXd

eight years – during that time authorities say she helped herself to three to five slices of ham every day, totaling $9,200 in lost revenue.
4 slices @ 1.5 oz each = 6 oz x 5 days = 30 oz or 1.875 lbs week x 52 wks = 97.5 lbs yr x 8 yrs = 780 lbs
$9,200 div by 780 = $11.79 lb for ham :bs:

Unless the store sold out of ham each and every day there was no lost revenue.
IF store paid $3.00 lb for the 780 lbs of deli ham. 780 lbs x $3 = $2,340 of stolen property or $304 ham stolen per year.

Store manager inflated the loss.
In property loss cases, replacement value not retail price is the correct accounting practice.
Property loss really was 780 lbs of deli ham stolen with an estimated value of $2,340 not $9,200.

p.s.
IF you ever find yourself in a "You Broke It, You Bought It" store situation....
Ask for the invoice and pay the item's replacement cost.
OR let them take you to court and judge will rule for the replacement cost as the owner is entitled to be reimbursed
for Actual Damages Incurred (to be made whole) not retail value.

i'm not sure how they can prove she ate the ham for all those days.

oh yea.. its the new.. "I TOLD ON THEM.. ITS THE GOSPEL" days..

There has to more to the story and another reason they are trying to get her. EVERY deli worker eats a piece of ham, turkey , roast beef every day. we used to give the customer a sample piece of every thing we were slicing for them. Deli's avg 40% GP after shrink .

If they knew she was eating ham for eight years and did nothing, why the problem now? Probably new management and policies, but I see this getting thrown out, but from now on an employee there had better not eat one berry.

jltrent":2in4299u said:
If they knew she was eating ham for eight years and did nothing, why the problem now? Probably new management and policies, but I see this getting thrown out, but from now on an employee there had better not eat one berry.
prove she ate ham every day for those 8 years too! I mean other than someone saying she did... In court that's the argument I'd make

Nesikep":19n5fzdy said:
jltrent":19n5fzdy said:
prove she ate ham every day for those 8 years too! I mean other than someone saying she did... In court that's the argument I'd make

I'm pretty sure there is proof. I bet ya a beeper goes off when she backs up.

M-5":1qcywabx said:
Nesikep":1qcywabx said:
jltrent":1qcywabx said:

I'm pretty sure there is proof. I bet ya a beeper goes off when she backs up.

:lol2:

I think after while ham would get old and I would try a few slices of some thing else, has to be some roast beef in the case some where.

ddd75":1uv1flp7 said:

You ever consider she may ahve admitted she ate that much after they showed it to her on the security cameras??

M-5":sl88p5t5 said:
There has to more to the story and another reason they are trying to get her. EVERY deli worker eats a piece of ham, turkey , roast beef every day. we used to give the customer a sample piece of every thing we were slicing for them. Deli's avg 40% GP after shrink .

I worked in a deli at a grocery store one summer. My theory was, how am I to give a good opinion on what's good or bad if I don't sample it? And, honestly, I had to try it on different days to make sure that quality had a certain consistency to it. However, we did have a guy that would put a scoop of potato salad in a container, weigh it, pay for it, and then bring it back for us to fill on his lunch break. I refused. He got in decent trouble, but I can't remember if he got canned or not. I just remember thinking that guy had some brass balls do pull something like that.

TexasBred":2j9rtzmf said:
ddd75":2j9rtzmf said:

You ever consider she may ahve admitted she ate that much after they showed it to her on the security cameras??

you know.. thats a great thing to point out....

the only bad thing is.. that it happened over a span of 8 years..

;-)

Bestoutwest":uvu37h5g said:
M-5":uvu37h5g said:

I worked in a deli at a grocery store one summer. My theory was, how am I to give a good opinion on what's good or bad if I don't sample it? And, honestly, I had to try it on different days to make sure that quality had a certain consistency to it. However, we did have a guy that would put a scoop of potato salad in a container, weigh it, pay for it, and then bring it back for us to fill on his lunch break. I refused. He got in decent trouble, but I can't remember if he got canned or not. I just remember thinking that guy had some brass balls do pull something like that.

brass balls to ask for some free potato salad... woah.. maybe we can term him 'heroic' now.

:lol2: :lol2:

ddd75":1cihexyf said:
TexasBred":1cihexyf said:
ddd75":1cihexyf said:

you know.. thats a great thing to point out....

the only bad thing is.. that it happened over a span of 8 years..

;-)
Still highly possible. Nothing like a confession.