halters

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
im gonna start training a 700 lb calf and i would like to get a halter that u can just keep on it and then clip on a lead rope on when i want to lead her around. kinda like a horse halter. but i cant find a halter that u can just keep on it and then clip a lead rope onto it. i kno that alot of people use the kind of halters with the chain but doesnt it hurt and i think its too harsh. i would use a poly one but i dont kno what to do about the lead thats on it. but what would i do about the lead, just let it hang although i dont want to do it but if it works it works. does anybody kno where i could get a halter that im lookin for or do they even make something like that?

Use a rope halter and let the calf drag and step on the rope, it gets them used to the feeling. After a few days of this, they will cooperate better. Get the calf in a tie it up for a while and take off the halter when you are done. We never use the stay on halter.

How do you suppose your going to break a 700 lb bull calf with a halter you can't apply pressure with. Go with a rope halter and do like Iowa said.

Get a rope halter and let your calf drag it around.

Halters with a chain on them are not cruel, and you said bull calf, youre not going to think having a chain on halter is cruel if you let that guy keep his balls. I keep a rope/chain halter with a lead snap on my steers all the time. Sometimes they get a little rough and if you need to, you can snap them with it.

If youre still inclined to getting to a halter that you can snap on a lead and leave on all the time, get a nylon one.

I agree with the types of halters, rope and such but not the method. I find when you let the calve drag the halter they get the downward pull and stop when pressure is applied. I would construct some way to take it off and put it on daily if posible. This is also a good way to get the calve used to you. A lot more trouble but worth it.

thanx guys for all the help. it sounds thats ill just let it drag the lead around. i never said it was a bull calf its a 700 LB (pound) heifer. and im takin to her to a show on the 25th of feb. do u guys think i can have her broke by then?

to WIN in the show ring, you gotta WORK in the arena!!

take your own advice and get to work. Maybe next time start a couple months earlier.

. i had i 600lb shorthorn that i posted on here earlier. And some one told me it takes about a month to halter break themwith a donkey and i had the calf on the donkey for 4 days and today i put a rope halter on him and he is leading just fine like a calf that is at the show but it was his first time with a rope halter on

Time it takes depends on the calf. I would've started earlier.

Tie up with a rope halter and lead her to food and water a couple times a day. If she gets rough, you may have to use a chain and in the show ring you'll definetly need a chain. Don't use a clip on type halter until sh'es broke really well.

thanx for all the help. its really appriciated. i kno that i should have started sooner but when i went to go get the calf the guy told us about the show and sense its no too far away i thought...i luv shows so much i might as well give it a try! so am. this is my second day with her and i got to pet her so shes REALLY calm but i didnt want to push it and put the halter on. i thought i should gain her trust. tomarrow the halter goes on! too bad i have school :( oh well i have a couple of hours after. and trust me i work. i dont go to shows to lose. (im a sore loser unfortunetly)

*ta ta for now!*

You can find the type of halter you are asking about, however I wouldn't recommend leaving it on for two reasons. First, your calf is going to continue to grow and if you don't watch carefully the halter can become too tight and cause problems.

Second, in my opinion a calf should be comfortable with you coming into the pen with a halter and having that halter put on without a major battle. If you leave it on her she isn't going to get used to being haltered up.

My son's market steer perks right up when he sees us coming with the halter. He knows he is getting out and going for a walk and we can walk up, put the halter and lead rope on and go. No problems so far.

Good Luck.

ya i started my heifer at 450 lbs and it was fun to break her
do the drag rope halter and tie it up tite for s couple hours at a time

ok so today i got the rope halter on her and shes been draggin it around. :) so tomarrow im gonna tie her up. how long should i tie her up? thats my question of the day.

thanx for all the help guys!! :D :heart:

ooopppsie!! i forgot one...okie dokie shes a red/white shorthorn...so what color of halter should i use? and also what kind?? :?: ok thats it i swear...well at least for now...lol :p

We tie our heifers / steers in a stall when halter breaking. They are tied in the stall, led to water, and while drinking, the feed in put in the stall and the heifer or steer is led back to eat and tied up. The feed tub is removed when the heifer or steer is through.

If you are planning to show her in 4 weeks, she will need to learn to stand tied.

Use a leather show halter that has a lead shank with chain. Our children use the round halters that are popular in the show ring. You can use a russet or black.

After she is leading fairly well, you will need to start getting her used to being touched with a show stick and moving her feet to set up.

Do you know how to teach one to set up?

yeah i kno how to set up. ive showed before ive just never tried to train when their this old.

ok so tonite i grabed her rope and she went pretty much bolistic. i had a good grip on her but sense its SO FREAKIN MUDDY! :mad: the rope kept slipping right thru my hands. ggrrrr :mad: :mad: so i didnt get her tied up :mad: yeah i didnt have a good nite. i kno patients, patients but im kinda runnin out of time. the shows the 24-25 of feb. and that like a MONTH :shock: i kno i kno i should have started sooner. but what can i say? im just tryin to make the most of this. so saturday were gonna put her on a donkey. and were also gonna put my hereford with her too. im prayin that will calm her down more. then were gonna see which onez better to show. yeah i kno i fu**ed up on it but im gonna make the most of it and see how i can do.

Latest posts