Hair loss

Help Support CattleToday:

Turkey Run

Reaction score
Hi,this is my first post, been reading for months.Anyway, I have a three week old calf that has been losing hair on the inside of her hind legs from about her hocks on up. it seams to be starting on the back of them also.The skin appears normal,smooth and soft, no scales.I can't see that it bothers her any.None of the other calves or cows are affected.

calf probably had some diarrhea or scours. caused the hair to fall off.. leaves raw skin behind for a while. not all that uncommon. hair will grow back. is that diarrhea/scours gone? sometimes you may not even notice it.

The calf did scour for a couple days at about a week old, has cleared up completly since though. I've had calves scour before just have'nt seen the hair fall out before, have only owned cattle for acouple of years though, I'm sure there's a lot more to be seen, hopefully more good than bad!!

Sometimes the back of their legs get scalded from the "runs". It takes a while for the hair to grow back. I have also seen this happen with foals.

Katherine

Latest posts