Hair Loss

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Just started having same problem as neighbor with lice. He said they must be biting lice since the injectable he used a couple weeks ago didn't seem to help. Planning to try some Ivomec pour on this week end. Comments?

20140329_1108480_zps5f0ebaf3.jpg

pretty common for this time of year.. a few of mine have it. I havent put up my backrubbers yet, but when I do, it takes care of the problem.

Your neighbor is confused.
The biting(actually sucking) lice would be easier killed by an appropriate injectible than the chewing lice - provided he gave the appropriate dose of an effective drug.
There is a mounting bank of evidence that some of the 'generic' ivermectin preparations - while they may meet the chemical analysis of "1% ivermectin" (or whatever %) specified on the label - do not have the efficacy of the 'name-brand' product. I don't buy them anymore...

That said, I'm not a fan of using pour-on ivermectin products for lice /fly control - it's just one more exposure that can help move you that much farther down the road to having 'worm' populations that are resistant to it. I'd use Saber or some other approved pour-on ectoparasiticide.

Lucky_P":3laziyj5 said:
Your neighbor is confused.
The biting(actually sucking) lice would be easier killed by an appropriate injectible than the chewing lice - provided he gave the appropriate dose of an effective drug.
There is a mounting bank of evidence that some of the 'generic' ivermectin preparations - while they may meet the chemical analysis of "1% ivermectin" (or whatever %) specified on the label - do not have the efficacy of the 'name-brand' product. I don't buy them anymore...

That said, I'm not a fan of using pour-on ivermectin products for lice /fly control - it's just one more exposure that can help move you that much farther down the road to having 'worm' populations that are resistant to it. I'd use Saber or some other approved pour-on ectoparasiticide.

We have had a bit of that this winter on one cow. Everyone told us it'll go away with sunshine and better weather. Is it better to treat it, even if cow is otherwise fine?

Every Spring we see multiple posts and pics like this - always the same.

What I see in the picture is not bad enough to even worry about.

Leave it be - no money spent and less strees on you AND the animal.

Sunlight will do the job just fine.

It is better to use a drug - pick your poison I do not care - as a preventative rather than a cure.

If this was my cow I would tell her to go scratch in the bush and come back with a new coat in about 3 weeks.

Time for a coffee.

Bez

I have been buying a few of these at the sale. They discount them because they look like crap. I spray them with Permectrin and also give them a pour on wormer. I spray them again in about 10days or so to kill what has hatched. The Permectrin works well.

Having the same problem, but I have two due to calve this month. Is there anything safe for late term heifers?

Latest posts