HAIR LOSS

Help Support CattleToday:

frank

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading about hair loss in cattle and all it's causes. I did a lot of reading on this forum and I can't come to any conclusions. Having done my leg work to ensure that it was nto already covered, I am going to try and post a couple of pictures and hope someone can give me some advice.

Cows received Dectomax a while ago and Lice spray more recently. Doesn't appear to be either Lice or Ring Worm. This is a yearly problem that doesn't hit all of the cattle the same way. Notice the scaling, dandruffy stuff... Looks horrible and I want to fix it.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/10700

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/10699

I am not actually new to the forum, but I lost my name and password and an email change meant I could not get it back.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,

Frank

Could still be lice. It isn't ringworm. Could it be feed related, as in chaff that has gotten into their hair and is making them itchy? Or it could be just the time of the year. It is getting close to spring and shedding time. That old hair gets itchy and they get scratching and rub gobs of it out.

Thank you for the quick response.

Maybe we`ll treat for lice one more time. There is no real hair loss in the warm spots, so I thought it might not be lice. We treated about a week ago anyway.
It kind of crusts up though. Made me think it could be something more. Looks like hell, but might be nothing.

Frank

Frank,
The photo of the red cow looks kinda like dermatophilosis - rain rot/rain scald - but I can't be sure.
Do they have scaly/crusty scabs that mat the hairs together, and then when you pick at 'em, they pull off in clumps, with yellow pus underneath?

Just following up on these. The lice treatment seems to have done the trick. All the lost hair came back.

Our Limo heard looses hair in the winter, but nothing like these guys.

Everyone is healthy now !

Thanks.

Hi Frank,
Glad to hear they are all healthy now, my friend had the same problem and the same conclusion as you. Good luck.
Marie

Lice is something I would never have thought of, I haven't had hair loss issues before so will keep this in mind.

I confronted a 20 days old male calf showing a great hair loss. It started from navel area and within 7 days cover almost 50% of body. I injected him Ivermectin, anti-allergic, Iodine. but still hair is continuously loosing. Any Idea???????

Latest posts