Hair loss

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a 3 yr old Jersey cow used for a nurse cow. Just weaned three calves and put her in a pen by herself. Have been giving her grass hay, sweet cob, and calf mana twice a day to get some weight back on her. I recently noticed bald spots under her eyes and today noticed that the bald patches have spread under her jaw and neck. I am new at this game so what do you think? I should also mention that her pen got pretty sloppy for a while. It finally got so bad that I moved her out of it. Is this likely a fungus from the sloppy pen or perhaps feed related? Any help is greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

I would tend to think lice as the first cause, then maybe ringworm. I would check her very closely for lice first, but wear rubber gloves just in case it's ringworm. Look inside her ears at the long hair, see if there are little egg looking things adhereing to the hair. If so, treat her for lice, then 2 weeks later do it again. There are basically two types of lice, biting and sucking. Some products work on one and not the other, we generally use something that gets them both. I can't recall any of the products names, we haven't had lice in so many years that all that sort of stuff was pitched long ago.

dun

> Have a 3 yr old Jersey cow used
> for a nurse cow. Just weaned three
> calves and put her in a pen by
> herself. Have been giving her
> grass hay, sweet cob, and calf
> mana twice a day to get some
> weight back on her. I recently
> noticed bald spots under her eyes
> and today noticed that the bald
> patches have spread under her jaw
> and neck. I am new at this game so
> what do you think? I should also
> mention that her pen got pretty
> sloppy for a while. It finally got
> so bad that I moved her out of it.
> Is this likely a fungus from the
> sloppy pen or perhaps feed
> related? Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

Re the sloppy pen. If she's stuck standing in slop, you run the risk of getting foot rot. It can also help transmit parasites and disease if you have other cows. If you can't scrape the pen out regularly, at least keep bedding it. Put straw over the slop to give her relatively cleaner footing. The straw will also help the manure compost underneath and provide extra warmth. Make sure her water and feed containers are clean. Cows are happier out anyways. If she can stay out, let her.

>If the patches have a white flaky look to them, I would vote for ringworm. I have had a couple cases in the past. I've read that you can treat it to lessen recovery time but it will be gone on it's own in a couple months. If it is ringworm, you can get it, which may be the reason I chose not to treat it. I can't remember.

Have a 3 yr old Jersey cow used
> for a nurse cow. Just weaned three
> calves and put her in a pen by
> herself. Have been giving her
> grass hay, sweet cob, and calf
> mana twice a day to get some
> weight back on her. I recently
> noticed bald spots under her eyes
> and today noticed that the bald
> patches have spread under her jaw
> and neck. I am new at this game so
> what do you think? I should also