Hair loss pics

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
This has happened in the past two weeks.

Spring heifers. Hay and 38% cubes. One of the others seems to have a very small spot that seems to be going this direction.

Ideas?

DSC_0743-Copy_zpsa04cd7d6.jpg

DSC_0742-Copy_zpsad7ebcc3.jpg

This is the time of year to use UltraBoss pour on. Helps with flys for a while but gets rid of lice and ticks right away

Much like a broken heart, time will heal them to. I would use a pour on its faster.

From what I see and the time of year I would be more inclined to say it is "rain scald".
SL

Hey!

I was just checking on my cows and saw something very similar to this.

I have a six year old black Angus cow that is missing some hair on the sides of her neck. Right greater than left. Smaller amount than seen in these photos.

Going to pour some Ivermectin on her tomorrow. Should I just go ahead and treat the rest of them? Didn't see any other signs.

Thanks in advance!

Rhune":w8if4rt5 said:
Hey!

I was just checking on my cows and saw something very similar to this.

I have a six year old black Angus cow that is missing some hair on the sides of her neck. Right greater than left. Smaller amount than seen in these photos.

Going to pour some Ivermectin on her tomorrow. Should I just go ahead and treat the rest of them? Didn't see any other signs.

Thanks in advance!

If one has lice, they all have lice

If you want to spend the money to treat one you might as well do them all

This is a very, very common problem andnothing to get concerned about

Best to you all

Bez

Bez,
Re:
And that comment alone truly illustrates your lack of knowledge of cattle
And that is your opinion and you are entitled to it!
As for the hair loss caused by rain scold, time and/or penicillin is the only thing that will cure it. If you use anything else, time alone will be the cure as it is caused by a bacteria.
By the way rain scold is highly contagious.
Have a nice day :tiphat:
Case closed
SL

We get something very similar in this area usually in late winter -early spring, and its not lice, and not usually mange.
Usually effects younger animals more than older, but not uncommon in older animals either.
Seems to be caused by the immune system getting low, maybe partly caused by low sunlight conditions of winter, long feeding of hay and no good green grass for months, and the result is the immune system gets low.
Heard somewhere a lack of vit--D and E in particular has an effect.
There does seem to be some sort of skin "bug" involved even though there is nothing visible, maybe taking advantage due to the low immune system, because if you ivomec them, in about 10 days or so they tend to stop the violent scratching and rubbing.
Some people tend to do nothing, but I prefer to ivomec, as I have seen some really bare looking cattle, and they tend to not gain as well as they are busy scratching instead of laying down chewing their cud.
Around here we tend to just call it the "winter itch"...

Latest posts