H braces

Help Support CattleToday:

coyotefur":3onhsgx9 said:
Can i use barbed wire to strengthen h-braces or does it have to be high tensile wire?

Dustin

Folks been using barbwire for 100 years.
Little harder to work with but it'll do for a wire brace. :2cents:
Course a solid diagonal brace would be better than either.

jkwilson":w82d7bbn said:
High tensile is so much easier there is no reason to use barbed wire if your fence is HT.

I'm installing a barbed wire fence and I have some left over. I don't want to buy high tensile if i don't have to.

Do you think barbed wire would work in pulling together h-braces?

Dustin

It will work, just harder to work with. Make sure the barbs don't hang up and there is equal tension on both wraps. I buy roles of 12.5 gauge barbless wire for brace post. Makes them a breeze. 1/4 mile role of that will make many many corners.

Probably easier to use some plain #9 wire for twisted braces. Seems like the barb always wants to pop and give over time as the barbs get bent or slide in my experience. But I may just not know what I'm doing.

Barbed is all I've ever used. It's actually all I got anyway. Never touched a piece of smooth high tensil.

coyotefur":3ncbvi63 said:
Bigfoot":3ncbvi63 said:
Barbed is all I've ever used. It's actually all I got anyway. Never touched a piece of smooth high tensil.

Do you make a loop and twist it back on itself?

I twist it, with a piece rebar, and use a staple to hold the rebar to the H in the H brace. Used sticks etc. before, but they are not lifetime products. I can pull the staple and spin it some more, if the need arises. Nowadays, I'd be more inclined to join the wire to itself, with a couple of ferrules. I'd post a pic, but I've lost that ability.

I have used barbed for the brace wire occasionally, but HT barbed (Gaucho). The low carbon wire like Red Brand is.. or was, has a tendency to stretch and get loose in this use like all others it's used for. Pull the HT barbed tight on the braces, and it will be there forever, just as tight (and bright) as the day you first put it on.
There's easier better wire for braces, but good barbed will sure work.

I've mostly used barbed wire. It sure makes you feel sick to your stomach when you carefully make two big loops of the barbed wire, staple them loosely in place, and make one too many turns tightening it and one strand goes "Ping". Nothing to do but take it all loose and start over.

I've recently gained access to some surplus 1/4" and 3/8" cable. That stuff doesn't break.

Rafter S":2pxjufh3 said:
I've mostly used barbed wire. It sure makes you feel sick to your stomach when you carefully make two big loops of the barbed wire, staple them loosely in place, and make one too many turns tightening it and one strand goes "Ping". Nothing to do but take it all loose and start over.

I've recently gained access to some surplus 1/4" and 3/8" cable. That stuff doesn't break.
No, it don't. But watch when twisting..it can be a wrist breaker or get loose and put a good bump on your noggin.

I've tried with the wire strainers..never was able to get them tight enough to suit me.

jkwilson":cuyovgoy said:
Probably easier to use some plain #9 wire for twisted braces. Seems like the barb always wants to pop and give over time as the barbs get bent or slide in my experience. But I may just not know what I'm doing.
Must be a regional thing. #9 is all I've ever seen used, other than solid welded pipe braces.

I Didn't see this until now.

One thing to consider might be the breaking strength of barb wire vs high tensile smooth wire.

Barb wire might work, but I could see it being difficult to get tight and who knows the long term integrity. If your using low carbon class 1 barb, its lifespan will be significantly shorter than class 3 HT smooth wire. Brace wire is an important part of a fence, you want something that will last as long as possible.

In my opinion, the only proper way to build a brace is with 200ksi+ 12.5g high tensile smooth wire. Lower ksi wire can work but may break if over tensioned. With the smooth wire, make 2 figure 8 wraps and tension with a ratchet or chain strainer. The ratchet can give the ability to easily go back and tighten up the brace wire if needed. High tensile wire should never be twisted with a twist stick.

Latest posts