Gutcheck Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama

Reaction score
Today I got a gutcheck. I am no longer the alpha male on the place. My son an I have been working together on the farm for years. I have always been the one to set the pace. I set the bar as to how much we would get done. Today he outworked me. We were doing some really intense manual labor and I could not hold up to his level of physical exertion. This is the first time in his 18 years he has outworked me. I am 47 years old and starting to feel it. His mom use to tell me not to work that baby to hard. I wander now if she will tell the baby not to work the old man to hard now. I'm not gonna grow old gracefully. I will eventually man up and come to the realization that I'm not the man I used to be. But for the next couple of days I think I will crawl in a corner and nurse by wounded ego.

I know what you mean.The last time my son helped me he was in college and home for Christmas break. Plumbing a house he worked me to death, and the quality of his work made me think,"Who taught him that?" Just wait, it's gonna' get more like that.
Used to play basketball with him and always kicked his arass, last time we played he ruined me, told him never again. gs

Bama":328h8k83 said:
Today I got a gutcheck. I am no longer the alpha male on the place. My son an I have been working together on the farm for years. I have always been the one to set the pace. I set the bar as to how much we would get done. Today he outworked me. We were doing some really intense manual labor and I could not hold up to his level of physical exertion. This is the first time in his 18 years he has outworked me. I am 47 years old and starting to feel it. His mom use to tell me not to work that baby to hard. I wander now if she will tell the baby not to work the old man to hard now. I'm not gonna grow old gracefully. I will eventually man up and come to the realization that I'm not the man I used to be. But for the next couple of days I think I will crawl in a corner and nurse by wounded ego.

It gets worse not better Bama. Trust me on this one, wait till boy is about 30 you will really have hurt feelings then.

Two things come to mind Bama......while you went off to lick your wounds, what did he do? Did he keep going? Maybe he is just as sore as you are. No doubt he made his statement but can he do it again today? 2 days back to back and then 3. Definitly the time is comming and he was tapping you on the shoulder saying "Come on old man", but you may be able to regain control for one more day. :lol:

Second...You are blessed to have a son that can and wants to outwork you. :clap:

yes it does make you feel old when that happens.i have 2 nephews that can out work me.but i have 1 prob i cant keep them working for long.work them 2 or 3 days an they will miss a day.

I used to have a highschool youngman help me around here. I discovered he could out work me and keep at it. I just sucked it up and let him.

I am 33, Pop is 52. I still can't out work him. Grandpa was in his 70s and pop says he couldn't outwork him then. I know when I was 13 I was one of the fastest kids in Jr High and I still couldn't out run Grandpa. He was 68 :shock:

Good thread Bama. I know how you feel. Got my hair cut this morning and told my barber I was going to sue him cause until he started cutting my hair I never had any grey so it must be his fault. He told me he could fix it and he did. You can't see it now cause its all on the floor. Won't be seeing him again any time soon. :lol2:

went trough this a couple weeks ago with my son. i was looking at the place feeling tired and thinking, if i were starting over now at my age i couldnt do it.......... i started a diet and exersize program the next day, cut back on the suds ""a little "' to.... dont want to throw my system into shock :cowboy:

He was brought up working for his allowance. He is in college working toward his engineering degree now. On his off days from school he also works for a landscaper in the area. He will be going to the Alabama campus next semester. He will have to move there as the drive is to far to commute. I will have it to myself then. I have been making provisions to work cattle alone. At least with minimal help from my wife. He has been a big asset over the years. Its hard to hire kids that will work. His last few years he was popular around here for folks needing help. I let him work these jobs first. I was a boy scout leader a few years back. Its a lot of differants in the boys that have grown up earning their keep and the ones that were petted all their life. I'm sure this will show up later in their lives as well.

Bama you raised him right and will reap the rewards, my baby boy is 30 calls everyday to check and see if I need any help for the coming weekend. Sure makes you feel good when you have one that has ethics and will work.
I thank God everyday I was not one of those parents dealing with drug's, jail and the other crap. I was up late and biting my fingernails because he was in Turkey just over the border from Iraq in 02 at a forward base. But that was worth it as well.

You dun good.

Dun if i'm older than dirt
and Caustic is older than rocks

where does that put you.

I've had physical jobs most of my life. Still do, and it started taking it's toll about 10 years ago. I've learned to pace myself. I figure I can still outwork most men my age but I can't measure up to the young ones that are willing to work. Doesn't really bother me too much, though. I did my time, so I figure it's time for someone younger to step up to the plate.

Your boy sounds like a fine man, Bama. My two boys are hard workers but, being smarter than me, they won't have to toil like I did.

I figure I can still outwork most men my age but I can't measure up to the young ones that are willing to work. Doesn't really bother me too much, though. I did my time

Thanks, Van C maybe I can use this to boost my damaged EGO. Now I can hold my head up again. :lol2:

Latest posts