Guessing Game

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Guess the Sire breed. Just to throw you off, this New Design 878 daughter had 94 lb heifer calf from an Angus Sire last year. This bull calf weighs 76 lbs. ;-)

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Gotta be a char?? Surely it's not Murray Grey....I can't
see the nose....true char nose would be pink, but this
calf may have a dark nose from his mom. :?:

Gotta be a char??

Now Jeanne. You know as well as I do that a 1/2 Char bull calf couldn't have an 18 lb. lighter BW than a purebred Angus heifer? :lol: :lol:

(With sarcasm dripping)

Oh yea. It's a Char.

One of those cow killing, pelvis splitting Chars. :lol:

His color is doesn't come out as well in the picture as it really is, but he is a really pretty gray with a black nose and black eyes.

Freezer beef.

MikeC":2kp3cjq9 said:
Oh yea. It's a Char.

His color is doesn't come out as well in the picture as it really is, but he is a really pretty gray with a black nose and black eyes.

Freezer beef.

Well, you know what easy calvers Angus are. :p

Frankie":icsopxd0 said:
MikeC":icsopxd0 said:
Oh yea. It's a Char.

Freezer beef.

Well, you know what easy calvers Angus are. :p

I does?

MikeC":t6fg0n5q said:
Oh yea. It's a Char.

Freezer beef.

" A really pretty grey with black nose & eyes"....
something like this :?: :

HalserCalf.jpg

Or maybe this one?
1st07-1.jpg

Or how about one of these???:

6calves.jpg

You've got the color right -- and the birthweight also!
Now go for the pedigree!!! :lol:

Mike, given time I would have said Char. I had a bunch just like that last Spring. BW mid 70's from a Reg Char bull, not 0ne bit of calving trouble. The calves hit the ground growing. :D
And at almost all Angus bull sales, buyers have a choice to go with near 100 pound birthwieghts if they choose. :help: :help:
My bulls being black or white will have birth weights in the 70's. :D :D

mnmtranching":21v6xs1m said:
Mike, given time I would have said Char. I had a bunch just like that last Spring. BW mid 70's from a Reg Char bull, not 0ne bit of calving trouble. The calves hit the ground growing. :D
And at almost all Angus bull sales, buyers have a choice to go with near 100 pound birthwieghts if they choose. :help: :help:
My bulls being black or white will have birth weights in the 70's. :D :D

I am a big believer in having the actual birth weights; but most of those bull sale reg. bulls with the 100 lb birth weights come out of 1550 lb (or more) registered cows or recipients. Many of them bred to 1150 lb cows in commercial conditions will actually throw 76 lb calves.

that mean little anguscow has done run that charolais mommycow off! stop theif! :stop:

I have a few of them good ole smokies too, they sure do like em at the barn too. They bring top dollar too.

The only diff in mine is the sire is an Angus and they all weigh below 73 at birth so far. I am looking forward to this years calves and see if they finish out better than the heifer calves did.

Here is Casper and he was 6 months old and 612 lbs on Thursday 10-11-07 The below pic was about 6 hours old.

Mike, I wonder if I had put him with a Angus cow if you could have told the diff between him and your calf. I would love to know if yours makes 600 lbs in 6 months. I would think he might do better since he probally has some of that Rio blood in him.

91A-1.jpg
:lol:

BW isn't solely dependant on the bull. The cow being a big factor along with weather and feed. That's why you buy your bulls based off you cow's and what they do for you. The influence of your bull will be in your herd for a long time. If your having calving problems with your calve crop; then keep those replacement heifers than the bulls to breed those heifers need to offset their deficiencies. If you select a bull that soars in WW and YW but has a high BW, and you continue to chose your bulls that way it will dominate your cow herd. I agree with Brandonm2 on actual weights. I like to see the weight coralate with the EPD's; with in some reason. A 100 lbs BW and an EPD of 1.5 don't add up. Don't eat me alive; but don't angus cattle carry the diluter gene also? If so wouldn't that be a reason for the gray calves?

Mike
It sure does my heart good to see you running those good ANGUScows. :devil2: :devil2: Looks like you're doing a good job of breeding up. Keep up the good work.

Angus Guy":2uyvfksk said:
Mike
It sure does my heart good to see you running those good ANGUScows. :devil2: :devil2: Looks like you're doing a good job of breeding up. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. A few more of these grey calves and they'll be improved greatly! :lol:

Latest posts