Might as well throw in a Guess the breed

1. easy....
cupcake_5_5_06.jpg

2. harder...
babe_6_21_06.jpg

Ok - very close

1st - Purebred Pinz heifer was bred to Lowline

2nd - Purebred Herford heifer was bred to Lowline

These were both bred by a friends registered Lowline, after my herf had her baby... with NO white face :shock: , only a little white on the belly... I called up my friend who also had some baldies and other crosses I asked him if the bull took the chrome off his also.... he concurred he had the same thing happen! This was the first crop of calves from this bull of his.

I also thought there was not as much white on the Pinz calf as I was expecting.... I am wondering how often this happens...anyone have opinions, or thoughts?

Little history on my herf.... we started with 10 registered heifers in 1993 bought registered herford bulls everytime until we stopped in 2003. I had this herf heifer picked out from the time she was born (2004) that I was hoping to keep her, when I decided to keep the Pinz, I kept the herf also. We also liked to pick out bulls that had the pigmentation around the eyes. I am wondering if choosing for the greater pigmentation effected this calf not having a white or brockle face on it.

Michele

i had that happen twice hereford cow x brangus bull solid black no white even on the stomach.

Aero":2359z6xa said:
why would you use a Lowline?

Keeping these 2 heifers was a bit of a last minute decision, then I had to get them bred if I was keeping them. My friend raises lowlines, so he let me borrow his bulls services.

1. Easy calving
2. $$ was right
3. Time