Guernsey - harvesting embryo

Help Support CattleToday:

CityFarmer

Reaction score
I am new to this board. My elderly father in law has a "retired" Guernsey that placed very high in shows. He got mixed up with some low-lifes that have been in the embryo harvesting business. As my screen name suggests, I know nothing about cows, etc.

The low-lifes have been taking care of the cow. I checked the Guernsey registry and nothing has been registered. Where else can I check to see if any embryo's have been harvested and stored. What else should I look for where these people could possibly gain financially off of my father in law. Thanks in advance.

CityFarmer":21mimwst said:
I am new to this board. My elderly father in law has a "retired" Guernsey that placed very high in shows. He got mixed up with some low-lifes that have been in the embryo harvesting business. As my screen name suggests, I know nothing about cows, etc.

The low-lifes have been taking care of the cow. I checked the Guernsey registry and nothing has been registered. Where else can I check to see if any embryo's have been harvested and stored. What else should I look for where these people could possibly gain financially off of my father in law. Thanks in advance.

First, who has possession of the subject cow?

Second, is there an executed agreement on the terms of harvesting embryos from the subject cow.

Third, what does registration have to do with it? If they marketed the embryos, all you should be interested in is what share of the gross was due to your FIL.

COMMENT: in any arrangement of this nature, a trustworthy partner is essential because you may harvest 5 eggs at a flush, 8 eggs at a flush or no eggs at a flush. Unless, you are involved in each step, you are never going to know if you are being cheated. (Eggs meaning fertilized).

There is no guarantee or requirement that the harvest has to be recorded unless that was in the terms of an executed agreement.

Margonme is right. Unless you have an agreement that is legally done, there is no way to tell if there have been any flushes done, any good eggs recovered or sold or implanted or anything. You do not register the eggs. The animals that are born from the flushes are what are registered. There are no guarantees on how many, if any, viable eggs can be recovered from a flush.
Guernsey's are my favorite milk cow. I have a couple for family cows and to use as nurse cows as well as some jerseys. Never got into showing. I am a milk tester with DHIA and don't even see very many of them around anymore. If you want, PM me and we can talk some more. Where are you located??

Most registries still at least require an Embryo Transplant report, on the Flush to even the recipient number of ID.

If you can PM me the registration number of the cow, we can check to see how many offspring she may have in the Council on Dairy Cattle Breeding database.