Grumpy Old Man

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
When I was growing up all stores were closed on Sundays and holidays, you couldn't even buy gas on Sundays, but their was a lot of people who worked 7 days a week farmers,ranchers,oilfield workers,electric workers to keep the lights on and many more occupations, we just accepted this and was happy to have a job, We now live in a 24 hour 365 day a year working society , and I see people demostrating that they have had enough and do not want to work holidays. Most of these employees work 40 hrs. a week or less. People demostrating for more work privileges and higher wages until they bankrupt the company and lose their jobs. Just think if today (a holiday) if everyone in the USA did not want to work how it would affect you personally, no tv,ballgames,no medical care,no electricity , no military , no food and hundreds more things we would not have, NO BEER, If no one in the country worked holidays we would be shut down as a Country, America developed into what is was by hard work and hardships , I look back at my high school yearbook and their is not one over weight student in the in the class. I guess I am just getting old and grumpy but I don't like what I am seeing and the way we are going.

There are several grumpy old men who are some of my favorite people on earth.
I guess I've got the grumpy thing going too....but...hmmm.... can one be considered old at 46....

CottageFarm":2h5jrovv said:
I guess I've got the grumpy thing going too....but...hmmm.... can one be considered old at 46....
I sure hope so. If you can't pass at 46 then I'm a real longshot at 34... If I can't qualify as a grumpy old man with my behavior and views then my only alternative is just plain a$$hole.

cowboy43":6zhmzrh3 said:
When I was growing up all stores were closed on Sundays and holidays, you couldn't even buy gas on Sundays, but their was a lot of people who worked 7 days a week farmers,ranchers,oilfield workers,electric workers to keep the lights on and many more occupations, we just accepted this and was happy to have a job, We now live in a 24 hour 365 day a year working society , and I see people demostrating that they have had enough and do not want to work holidays. Most of these employees work 40 hrs. a week or less. People demostrating for more work privileges and higher wages until they bankrupt the company and lose their jobs. Just think if today (a holiday) if everyone in the USA did not want to work how it would affect you personally, no tv,ballgames,no medical care,no electricity , no military , no food and hundreds more things we would not have, NO BEER, If no one in the country worked holidays we would be shut down as a Country, America developed into what is was by hard work and hardships , I look back at my high school yearbook and their is not one over weight student in the in the class. I guess I am just getting old and grumpy but I don't like what I am seeing and the way we are going.

He77 there was nothing to eat but home cooked vegetables, meat, cornbread and a glass of fresh sqoze milk. ;-) And if there was a fast food place or a store with candy you didn't have any money, but if you did have a nickel you had to walk or ride your bike a mile or two to the only store around.

cow pollinater":29rqqavr said:
CottageFarm":29rqqavr said:
I sure hope so. If you can't pass at 46 then I'm a real longshot at 34... If I can't qualify as a grumpy old man with my behavior and views then my only alternative is just plain a$$hole.

:lol2: :lol2: Okay CP, I'll make the sacrifice and officially become a Grumpy Old Lady. Then you won't have to worry about your alternatives!!! :lol: :lol:

cowboy43":2sq9jqq5 said:

I remember when life was like that. Gas was also about 35 cents a gallon. I guess that I am one of the older posters here (59). My parents grew up and lived during the depression an I think that many of their values have stayed with me. Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without.

TexasBred":2qllkiqj said:
cowboy43":2qllkiqj said:

He77 there was nothing to eat but home cooked vegetables, meat, cornbread and a glass of fresh sqoze milk. ;-) And if there was a fast food place or a store with candy you didn't have any money, but if you did have a nickel you had to walk or ride your bike a mile or two to the only store around.

You got that right if you wanted a snack there was some cold hot water cornbread or sweet tater on the back of the stove. If you were traveling for the holiday there was no gas to be bought either, that went for any Sunday as well.
Mom would fry up some chicken and make a jug of tea for the trip that was our fast food.
The only people that worked were what we called City Services job's in Cowboy 43 is refering to.
Family time was very important then I can't say it was wrong, looking at the direction the country is headed.

At 68 I know I am an Grumpy Old Man, and you know what? Very glad to say
that I am to, for I can remember the GOOD-OLD-DAYS, these kids today will
never be able to say that .

Lucky22":2i5v6c6s said:
At 68 I know I am an Grumpy Old Man, and you know what? Very glad to say
that I am to, for I can remember the GOOD-OLD-DAYS, these kids today will
never be able to say that .

10 miles to school. Uphill both ways. If I could shoot a squirrel along the way all the kids could have lunch. :nod:

Latest posts