Growth

Help Support CattleToday:

anderma

Reaction score
First time user. I have gained much needed help with this forum, however, here is something I have not found the answer too. I have a calf 3 months of age. Has developed a growth on right front shoulder. It seems to be filled with fluid but not sure. Thought about trying to explore and draing if necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

anderma":ilzlhgm8 said:
It seems to be filled with fluid but not sure. Thought about trying to explore......
Welcome to the Boards. Considering the future and present value of calves, I would think real hard about having a vet look at it instead of "trying to explore" since you're not even sure if it's fluid. JMO

Welcome!

It is possibly an abcess. You should insert a needle and see what comes out. If its full of pus you need to cut a small incision and drain it daily using a water hose to rinse it out. Also give an antibiotic as a precaution.
Calves can get these from an injury during transport or other bruising.

G&L

Does the lump feel all soft and gooshy like a water balloon? Then it would be infection and needs to be drained. If it feels like there is something hard moving around in gooshy stuff then don't attempt to cut it open yourself. You won't get much, if anything out and then would have an open wound that could cause more problems than you already had. We had one get a small piece of cornstalk bedding lodged in his hide and he got a lump we had to drain. Sometimes the darndest things will cause this.

Good analagy Farmhand, it does feel similar to a water ballon. I think I can insert syring and try to extract fluid and if so, maybe lance;drain; and clean myself or take to vet to have the same.
Thanks for the help :lol:

Latest posts