Grooming Chute Plans

Help Support CattleToday:

RbarJ

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience making their own grooming chute? I'm looking at making one for myself, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'm pretty handy at building, and am an amateur welder. Any Ideas are welcome!
Thanks!
Robby

I'm sorry, I don't really remember. He made it about 13 years ago and most of the tubing was used. It is still going strong. It is a handy piece of equipment.

I made one about 7 years ago. Copied Sullivan's design except modified the head catch a little and my side bars don't have the fancy spring loaded ends for moving them to different holes. I think it probably cost me around $300 for all the materials and I used whatever I could find in the scrap pile for certain parts. I would say if I had to do it all over though I would have used my old chute awhile longer and saved up for the aluminum chute. Those things are so light and amazing I'm considering buying one in the near future and just using the one I built just for clipping at home.

If you make one out of steel it will be fine for home, you only need to haul it once to a show to figure out it is perfect for home.
If you are dead set on making your own, copy Sullivan's, I would make a 4 wheel rack to put it in when you move it and use larger wider tires so you can move it easier. The 2 wheel set up Sullivan's uses if sine for the aluminum chutes, not much help for the steel chutes.
We have the hybrid, steel base the rest is aluminum, quite a bit heaver, but manageable.

Thanks for the input! Being a high school student and having to finance all my own projects, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to get a hold of one.

When I asked my question earlier, I thought you were in Indianna. Not sure how I made that mistake. I have some large reels that some cable came on, they are made from 1.5 x 1.5 square tubing. I have been torching them, and making roping chutes out of them. The longest pieces that I cut are 42" long. They are sometime on craigslist, at slightly over scrap price. That may not be the case in your area. If you lived closer, i would give you enough to make a grooming chute. the offer still stands, its just too impractical for you to take possesion of them.