Grit's Seedstock Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
...got a great response. Most of the comments were related to observable traits or phenotype.

The biggest influence on me when I decided on Simmentals was the Rocking P folks near Maysville.

http://www.rockingplivestock.com

Chan Phillips has universal name recognition in the Simmental breed. He is a national livestock judge and has judged all of the top Simmental shows in North America.

Chan's father, Larry who was a life long friend of the late Charlie Boyd of the well known Boyd Cattle Company, bred Angus cattle for many years before Chan and his brother, Keith started taking the operation in the Simmental direction. When it comes to function, their emphasis is "easy keeping" cattle. Beginning with Larry, he wanted cows that could grow on Kentucky fescue and produce with a minimum of inputs.

My herd genetics has more influence from Rocking P than anyone else. TT likes to poke me about feeding grains but my cows are pampered by choice not because they require it. It occurred to me when reading Grit's thread that it was not focusing enough on performance. When in the company of the elite cattle breeders, they do not appear to me to get as bent out of shape over a small phenotype defect as they do over a function trait. NOTE: Don't construe this to mean that Rocking P cattle don't have good phenotype. Few Simmental breeders in the United States if any can match their accomplishments.

The thread Grit started seemed to me to omit the "unobservable" Performance traits:

1. Efficiency
2. Fertility
3. Disposition
4. Hardiness
5. Health
6. Performance

The Boyds started out in Hereford some of those bloodlines still in my pasture.
Then in Angus then later generations SIMM so are they chasing the dollar or the breed?

Caustic Burno":3mlrzekh said:
The Boyds started out in Hereford some of those bloodlines still in my pasture.
Then in Angus then later generations SIMM so are they chasing the dollar or the breed?

The late Charlie Boyd Sr. loved the Hereford breed. There was a bit of humor at his funeral that he was in heaven selling Herefords to God.

Yes, it appears to me they had to start chasing a more popular breed. Angus.

Edited: CB. No not Simm. Unless in the last couple months. They are only 5 miles from me. Still have some herefords and lots of Angus. Mrs Boyd just listed their farm. The original big two story house.

http://shenandoahvalleysimmentals.com

Probably the best set of Simmental cattle that I've seen across the board. She doesn't have show cattle just good hard working easy doing cattle. There's no feed wagons, no silage pits, no feed bunks, no commodity barns on the property, but there's some mighty fine fescue and clover pastures. The phenotype and the quality of the cattle is easy to see. If you want easy doing Simmental cattle she's the one to buy from. She even has some RED Simmentals for sale.
This post will probably cost me because I'm planning on buying a few at her sale next month.

True Grit Farms":3dtymm7y said:

Probably the best set of Simmental cattle that I've seen across the board. She doesn't have show cattle just good hard working easy doing cattle. There's no feed wagons, no silage pits, no feed bunks, no commodity barns on the property, but there's some mighty fine fescue and clover pastures. The phenotype and the quality of the cattle is easy to see. If you want easy doing Simmental cattle she's the one to buy from. She even has some RED Simmentals for sale.
This post will probably cost me because I'm planning on buying a few at her sale next month.

Thanks. Not the first time I have been exposed to them. I like the blaze face heifer.

Bright Raven":3tmq8nd8 said:
True Grit Farms":3tmq8nd8 said:

Thanks. Not the first time I have been exposed to them. I like the blaze face heifer.

I used my Google and read on them. Time well spent. It appears in 1970 they started their simm line with a bull "Cesar" purchased from the king ranch. He was bred to a commercial cow herd to produce the purebred line they now possess.
Interesting read...now off to work

callmefence":13qkay1v said:
Bright Raven":13qkay1v said:
True Grit Farms":13qkay1v said:

I used my Google and read on them. Time well spent. It appears in 1970 they started their simm line with a bull "Cesar" purchased from the king ranch. He was bred to a commercial cow herd to produce the purebred line they now possess.

Good read. Interesting lady. That sale is only 2 weeks away. Be fun to go. That part of Virginia, Quicksburg, is beautiful. As Grit said, I bet they do have great pasture.

callmefence":kgpp8iuz said:
Bright Raven":kgpp8iuz said:
True Grit Farms":kgpp8iuz said:

Yes. Their herd is "bred up". I also read that.

In the mid-1970s, they brought a Purebred Simmental Bull (Caesar) in from the King Ranch in Texas. The bull was put on a herd of "commercial cows". From there, it says they bred up to a Purebred herd of Simmentals.

There are some old genetics in their herd. Looking through the lots for sale, they use Upgrade a lot.

Latest posts