Grey Claves

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P - absolutely correct. Diluter gene is totally separate from the black or red gene. If a red calf gets the diluter gene passed to it, you can't tell. A light red could or could not be carrying it. Sometimes a dark red is actually carrying it. It is not "expressed" in red cattle. On the other hand, it is dominant on black cattle. They cannot be BLACK and carry the diluter gene. Dark grey, light grey, mouse, chocolate, silver - but not black.

Hoser said:
Aaron said:
Hoser said:
This year I had 3 grey calves out of old purebred angus cows who have always had jet black calves. Does the newest hereford bull have some simmental in the woodpile?

Post the registration number and can probably track down the Simmie in the pedigree. Likely a few generations back and not showing on the paper certificate.

c03031792

I'm not too familiar with Canadian Hereford genetics but based on the registration I pulled up it doesn't look like he has been DNA tested for genetic defects so can't completely rule out the possibility that he could be a dilutor carrier. Although there are bulls on both sides of his pedigree with DLF designations as tested free of dilutor so odds are he likely would test DLF too but you never really know until an animal is tested. As we are finding out these days every breed seems to have some new defect problems popping up which makes you wonder where the source of them come from. The Herefords just in the past couple years now have had MSUD and now just recently MD which now makes 5 known genetic defects being tested for and the American Angus Association I believe has several as well - not an angus guy so not certain of the number.

I guess the main question is are you satisfied with the results you are getting with this bull and your plan for what you will do with his calves. If you are just breeding for some feeders and his calves perform well and make you money then not sure how much the grey really matters but if you plan to keep daughters and the grey bothers you then that is another thing to consider too. The only thing that really matters is what you think about it and what you want to do as everyone has their own opinions and goals with their cattle.

Latest posts