Greenwillow's critters, again

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
I had origionally posted the pictures that Greenwillow had taken of his bull. I managed to lose them and dumped them out of photobucket somehow. He sent me some more...here they are. I will let him add the needed information.

willow1.jpg
[/img]

willow.jpg
[/img]

willow2.jpg
[/img]

willow3.jpg
[/img]

willow4.jpg
[/img]

certherfbeef":fgyszjo5 said:
I had origionally posted the pictures that Greenwillow had taken of his bull. I managed to lose them and dumped them out of photobucket somehow. He sent me some more...here they are. I will let him add the needed information.

willow1.jpg
[/img]
FGR Lady Victra L1M, dam of TSG Buckshot Tone 1. I bought her as a six month old heifer, weighing over 600 pounds, for $750. Her sire lived 15 years.
willow.jpg
[/img]
DKG Rupert's Lawmaker, sired by Day Rupert Tone, out of LCC Miss Lawmaker, a cow I sold bred to my brother and associate, Dan. I bought the heifer back after he sold the cow.
willow2.jpg
[/img]
TSG Buckshot Tone 1, sired by Day Rupert Tone 092. Buckshot is now serving in a commercial herd. In this picture he was 78 days, 320 pounds.
willow3.jpg
[/img]
Day Rupert Tone 092, my former herd bull, now serving in a local Hereford-based commercial herd. I retained permission to use him.
willow4.jpg
[/img]
092 again. He is three years old in these pictures.

Lady Victra was 2 1/2, and the Lawmaker heifer was a yearling.
I traded a fancy cherry fireplace mantle for a half-sister to 092 this summer.

Rupert's Lawmaker is the "Fat Heifer." Her half brother, TSG Tamerlane,(sired by an OSU Baltic-517-bred bull) is serving in the same herd with 092. His first calves are a few months old, and reports are that they were small, but growing fast. The Tamerlane name came from a story about a Hereford bull in an old school reader I had growing up.

I'd guess that is more information than anyone wanted to know.....

By the way, notice the tidy udder on Lady Victra. That is typical of my cows.

Willow,
If you'll feed them a little salt now and then they won't eat the shed!

I'm just joking . Nice stock.

greenwillowherefords":3uaaxubt said:
Willow, we always call those "poor milkers." Tidy udder, huh? That sounds a lot more
high class. When I carry one of those calf starvers to the sale barn, maybe I oughta
try to get 'em to run her with the "tidy uddered" cows instead of the plain old culls.

Texan

Willow, we always call those "poor milkers." Tidy udder, huh? That sounds a lot more
high class. When I carry one of those calf starvers to the sale barn, maybe I oughta
try to get 'em to run her with the "tidy uddered" cows instead of the plain old culls.

Harsh words?

Then again I suppose I am not an expert. Just another old cowboy.

Bez[/b]

Texan":2108qfe3 said:
greenwillowherefords":2108qfe3 said:
So Texan , do you like the cow or not?

There is a difference in a tidy udder and a tiny udder. After writing the post, I realized you can only see one teat because of the placement of her leg. What I meant by a tidy udder is that it is well shaped and placed, and the teats are never ballooned. It is never pendulous. Some day I will post a rear view so you can see that it is medium sized.

The more telling sign of her milking ability is the moderate condition of her fleshiness in this picture taken when her first calf was seventy-some days old. She puts it in the calf. Again, look at the calf in the picture. Doesn't look starved to me.

You can put up with cows with huge balloon teats on sagging, swaying udders that won't last four years, or you can select for quality udders. I'm not going to have much luck selling bulls to folks if they see a dam with teats so big the calf can't hardly get them in his mouth. I'm not suggesting that you have problems with this kind, Texan, but I am telling you that I don't.

But I'll bet you're just trying to get me going again! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments.

ollie":1a9dnhr8 said:
Ollie, I'm surprised at you! Do you actually expect me to decide that
without some hard EPD numbers to crunch? Are you actually suggesting
that I decide whether or not I like her just from looking at her? :shock:

Texan":w0ffwcbi said:
ollie":w0ffwcbi said:

I didn't know much about EPDs when I bought her. I knew and trusted the ranch program because my grandfather had purchased bulls from them for years. My wife and two boys rode the 'Gator through the pastures with the owner, and I picked out what I thought was the best heifer in the bunch. We looked at her dam, and then looked at her sire, who was twelve at the time. For those who care, her Milk EPD tripled in her first year of production, from a lowly 2 to a 6.

Just for grins willow, was there a heifer that was a contemporary of her that had a better milk epd or maternal weaning weight epd that had a calf that didn't wean as heavy or was the data accurate?

ollie":1ozmahvj said:
Just for grins willow, was there a heifer that was a contemporary of her that had a better milk epd or maternal weaning weight epd that had a calf that didn't wean as heavy or was the data accurate?

No, but there was an eight year old cow with a milk EPD ten times what L1M's pedigree milk EPD was, and an almost identical weaning weight EPD, whose bull calf the year before was no heavier, and not near as good. In their contemporary year, the older cow raised a heifer, which was understandably smaller. A contemporary heifer had a heifer calf which was again understandably somewhat smaller.

L1M was the largest heifer in her contemporary group at the home ranch, and there were definitely other dams with much greater milk EPDs than her dam's was.

I agree willow most of our cows are heavy milkers milk aywhere from a 5 -8 but thats jsut what i like though if they don't milk they dont stay thats my philosophy.

Texan":12zx8knw said:
ollie":12zx8knw said:
Glad I found out before it's to late that ya can't tell a good cow just by looking at it! :roll:

Latest posts