Green Springs Bull Test

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
What do you think of the Green Springs Bull test and their sale held near Butler, MO? Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

Santas and Duhram Reds":hadc647v said:
I have heard they feed the bulls too hard and too much. You wind up with a lazy bull that will fall apart.

Thanks for the input. Your opinion is the one common opinion that I have heard so many times and it probably has weakened the use of bull tests in this country. The only experience I ever had with a bull test was we purchased a bull from Glenkirk farms in the 1975 IBIA Creston, Iowa bull test. We never had any trouble with him, but tests may have been done differently back then and that bull was not overly fat when we bought him off test. The test winners were pretty fat.

alexfarms":2f96h5qx said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":2f96h5qx said:
I have heard they feed the bulls too hard and too much. You wind up with a lazy bull that will fall apart.

Thanks for the input. Your opinion is the one common opinion that I have heard so many times and it probably has weakened the use of bull tests in this country. The only experience I ever had with a bull test was we purchased a bull from Glenkirk farms in the 1975 IBIA Creston, Iowa bull test. We never had any trouble with him, but tests may have been done differently back then and that bull was not overly fat when we bought him off test. The test winners were pretty fat.

http://www.lakotabulltest.com/

I have fed a few Galbvieh bulls at Green Springs and did not feel that they were pushed too hard at all. The cattle were definitely in a feedslot setting, but that is the point of a bull test... to find out how each indivual will do in a feedlot setting...The place that his offspring will most likely end up. I will say as a bull owner I thought the cost was high to grow the animals, and the demand for the gelbvieh bulls come sale time was a little weak. If your buying from GSBT, just use your head and take care of your bull when you get him home. BAck him off on feed and get him grazing, dont just dump him out and expect him not to lose weight.

Latest posts