Green discharge from eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

applepie

Reaction score
So, I'm new to horses needing care other than the norm vaccines, feed, water, etc..........my horse has green discharge from her eyes. No cough not really a runny nose (it's been so cold here that it could be from the wind). I'm not sure what I can give to her antibiotic wise. I can't give her a shot cause she'll FREAK! Is there any crumbles or anything and how much to give? She's approx 1200#.
Thanks
applepie

Honestly, I have no idea. She seems to be acting like her normal, dominant mare way and the last two days have been a MAJOR challenge to even let me pet her..............nothing new for her, still working on manners and she has a LONG way to go. I will have to corner her to even tie her up and even at that it will take a couple of hours.
I'm pretty sure it's some kind of infection because of the green but I just don't know what I can give to her. She would come for anything that says food if it's in the red bucket. That's why I don't know any thing about an antibiotic that she could eat instead of injection.
Thanks
applepie

Wind would cause a clear discharge not green, green means probalby an infection. If you can't handle the horse you should call a vet and have them look at it. You can add antibiotics to the food but youcan't make them eat it and control the dose. Call a vet.

Alan

I will get my daughter to help me with her in the morning so that she can get medicated. Two are better than one as this mare is a little cranky right now. Maybe antibiotic will help her. I will call.
Thanks
applepie

sometimes tear duct get clog and you need a vet to flush them you don't want to just put any antobiotic in the eye the vet has different salves for eye problems

Latest posts