Grazon P+D

Help Support CattleToday:

I use it. Good stuff. With the price of fertilizer , I should use more grazon and less 26-13-13.

maverick":1v10es8t said:
Anyone use Grazon P+D on your pastures? Any suggestions about using it. Thanks!!

I use it and really like the results I get. I use a 40' boomless sprayer with one quart to one hundred gallons with = parts of surfactant.

Campground Cattle":30m89jds said:
maverick":30m89jds said:
Anyone use Grazon P+D on your pastures? Any suggestions about using it. Thanks!!

I use it and really like the results I get. I use a 40' boomless sprayer with one quart to one hundred gallons with = parts of surfactant.
Seems thin to me Camp. How many gallons to the acre?

Yea, it work great. I mix a little extra 2-4-d with it at times. I also use outlaw, its the same thing. Both will kill clover though. The biggest problem with it is timing. You only have about a 4-6 week window on most weeds. If you are late you can use surmount it doesn't have as narrow a timing factor.

What rate are you spraying Bama. I don't seem to notice a timing factor. It kills them well even when the weeds are pretty mature.

ollie":1jdtxe5v said:
Campground Cattle":1jdtxe5v said:
maverick":1jdtxe5v said:

Seems thin to me Camp. How many gallons to the acre?

About 10 gallons an acre but I am cheap, I kept cutting it till I got the minimum amount that works for me. I have good improved pasture my major problem is thistle that gets blown in. doesn't take much to kill thistle. ChineseTallow another problem mix with diesel and spot spray.

maverick":2naaqou0 said:
How many times a year do you need to spray and How much does it cost per gallon?

Here its 90 dollars for 2 1/2 gallons. I usually spray once in the spring as it last for 45 days. Be sure not to spray newly planted ground as it will kill the seed.

If you can get kill on 1/10th the recomended rate then I need to be cheaper. I'll try that. I have been using a quart to the acre. Sprayed 23 acres last week and cheated. I thought I was being thrifty and used 20 quarts . OUCH. Your killing me Camp.

Don't hold me to it but I think its something like 2-3 pints per acre with a additional 1 pint of 2-4-d. I'll have to check my records. I'm spraying mostly wild buttercup and dog fennel. If I let the dogfennel get to big it won't completely kill it. I let the wildbutter cup bloom to allow time for the dogfennel to get to about 8-10 inches. Two early or to late it won't get the dogfennel. Its about $70 per gallon. 24d is about $35 per 2.5 gal.

ollie":35dsr4ja said:
If you can get kill on 1/10th the recomended rate then I need to be cheaper. I'll try that. I have been using a quart to the acre. Sprayed 23 acres last week and cheated. I thought I was being thrifty and used 20 quarts . OUCH. Your killing me Camp.

A good oil base surfactant is the trick, I went to a forestry seminar a few years ago and the surfactant is just as important as the chemical. A sprayer that gets good atomization is very important. Ollie I have had better results with the boomless versus boom.

ollie":23ouazpl said:
You have had better luck boomless???? Why?

I think I get better coverage with all the trees in the pasture. You don't have to worry about hanging the boom, if the tractor will fit so will the sprayer.

yea, I also use a surfactant also. It allows the plant to take up more product. The heat and sunshine also play a big factor cooler temps will take more product. The surfactant is about $20 dollars a gal. You have to look at the product, some of the generic roundups have surfactant added and will be a little higher. The others will be cheaper, but when you add the surfactant it will be more expensive. A word on surfactant. A lot of people will tell you to just use dawn dish detergent. This will help the absorption rate but will make a lot of foam also. The surfactant works much better.

I'm guessing this surfactant is the the same as crop oil? Helps the chemical stick to the plant instead of running off?

Grazon P+D requires an applicator license in TX. Not sure about other states. Basically it is a mixture of 2,4-D and Tordon 22K (picloram).

Latest posts