grazing holstein steers

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
what would be adg on grass?
300#bulls
4# of growing ration and all the fescue they want.
will they gain more if left as bull till 500#
always grazed blacks and cross breds
but cant make the numbers work at these prices 1.50 and up
these will come from the dairy no sale barn holsteins 2 rounds of ibr and blackleg

all will become steers at some point,i have lots of grass
sorry kf but your reply just well :bang: :bang: :bang: :?

J
Don't have a lot of experience with steins but would guess maybe .25# less than beef steer on same ration possibly 1.25# day
Hopefully someone with actual stein experience will chime in

Hope this is helpful

The cool thing about $1.50 feeders is that when you put a pound of gain on it's worth $1.50. These Holsteins are cheaper to buy, but a pound of gain is not worth as much. If that fescue is big and gone to seed they won't get much use out of it. We put Holsteins on grass but use a high stocking rate and give them all the corn they will eat.

Larry

larryshoat said:
The cool thing about $1.50 feeders is that when you put a pound of gain on it's worth $1.50. These Holsteins are cheaper to buy, but a pound of gain is not worth as much. If that fescue is big and gone to seed they won't get much use out of it. We put Holsteins on grass but use a high stocking rate and give them all the corn they will eat.

So my response really was not too out of line I suppose............ :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :cowboy:

larryshoat":203gnljb said:

Larry
Larry use to know a dairyman that would run holstein steers on a mixture of ryegrass and turnip greens along with all the corn they would clean up completely in a 24 hours and free choice mineral. Calves performed great on it. Corn was cheap then but then so were steers. ;-)

sorry to point this out but when you put a pound of gain on $1.50 5 weight steer it is not worth $1.50 as the steer gets bigger your gain is worth less and cost more to put on.ie a 5 weight $1.50 steer will never get worth any more.
i can buy #250-300 for around $1.00/# they sold some #800 for $.99 (steins) so every pound of gain i put on is still worth what i paid for it.
my cost of gain per day is around $.75 so if they will put on 2#/day thats $1.25/day profit
my feed has bovitec and they get #5/head anybody know if this will hit my 2# mark with fesue and clover grass

kf i am not knocking your reply's i just dont understand them sorry i am alittle week minded more musle than brain.
thanks to everyone who reply's

jbar said:
kf i am not knocking your reply's i just dont understand them sorry i am alittle week minded more musle Your allright..........sorry for the confusion...........thanks for your post.
God bless you!

Steins need to be larger than beef stockers when they go to grass because they mature slower. Quality 6 wt. stein steers can do 2# a day on good grass. Average 4 to 5 wt stien bulls will only do 0.5# on not so good grass.

Calculate the value of gain when you consider cheap(er) stock,

then buy ones that will upgrade :cowboy:

Latest posts