Grazing haygrazer

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Have about 15 acres planted that's not going to make a second cut. Want to turn the replacement heifers in on it but it's browning up. Should I either
1, graze it
2, shred it and wait a bit, then turn in on it
3, something I haven't thought of

5S Cattle said:
callmefence said:
Graze it.

No worries at all?

I graze it all summer no worries. The burnt wilted grass is not a concern unless very heavy fertilizer has been used. When it rains and you begin to get new growth you need to pull them a couple weeks.
This is only my internet advice lol. Please use your own judgement. Kick one old cow in there for a day...the canary in the mine...and before you turn them in fill em up with hay till their laying round chewing their cud.

I culled pretty heavy last fall so I like everything I have right now haha. How long before I would see the effects of something wrong happening I wonder?

5S Cattle said:
Have about 15 acres planted that's not going to make a second cut. Want to turn the replacement heifers in on it but it's browning up. Should I either
1, graze it
2, shred it and wait a bit, then turn in on it
3, something I haven't thought of

Didn't take long to dry up did it.....

5S Cattle said:
I culled pretty heavy last fall so I like everything I have right now haha. How long before I would see the effects of something wrong happening I wonder?

They say within a hour or so.
I've never seen a problem, and I've pushed it pretty far.

callmefence said:
5S Cattle said:
callmefence said:
Graze it.

No worries at all?

I graze it all summer no worries. The burnt wilted grass is not a concern unless very heavy fertilizer has been used. When it rains and you begin to get new growth you need to pull them a couple weeks.
This is only my internet advice lol. Please use your own judgement. Kick one old cow in there for a day...the canary in the mine...and before you turn them in fill em up with hay till their laying round chewing their cud.

Pretty much covered the bases. :clap:

Latest posts