grazing grass

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn

Reaction score
We live about a half hour west of Houston and have 1bull 8cows in 22 acres thats divided into 3 pastures. So i'm tring to find out what would be a good grass to plant for this area. And we just got our first good rain of the season. We haven't had a good rain for about 9 mo. Also the soil needs to be worked, what is the prosess for turning the soil (i.e. what implaments do I need and which one do I use first)? They call the dirt here gumbo.

shawn":xhrxx91g said:
We live about a half hour west of Houston and have 1bull 8cows in 22 acres thats divided into 3 pastures. So i'm tring to find out what would be a good grass to plant for this area. And we just got our first good rain of the season. We haven't had a good rain for about 9 mo. Also the soil needs to be worked, what is the prosess for turning the soil (i.e. what implaments do I need and which one do I use first)? They call the dirt here gumbo.

Howdy Neighbor!

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat in the same area, only I've been here just a couple more years than you, and as such have found this board to posess an incredible amount of knowledge from some equally knowledgeable people. With that being said, I've also found that getting to know a few people locally has been a tremendous help to getting started, especially when it comes to pasture management. So, if you're interested, PM me, and I'll pass on a few names and numbers of folks in our area who could help you out with planting, pasture work, fertilizing, feed, hay, etc.

I have to admit, I was pretty thankful to see that wet stuff fallin' yesterday too, but the inch I got just rolled into the cracks in the dirt without stopping to do much! :roll: However, I'll take what I get and run with it!

Latest posts