Grazing Broken Mouth Cows ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased a number of cows in February and March that were showing some age. The cows are on good pasture and most of them are now fat - - but about 10% of them are losing condition. They are broken mouth cows raising a respectable calf, and destined to become burger soon. Is penning the pairs for a month or two the best way to prep them for sale, or is a person just better off weaning early and just shipping the cows now?

This is just me, but I'd ship them now. There's no guarantee they'll gain anything, and if they do it'll just cost you money. Of course, I don't know how old/big the calves are, but anything north of 300 lbs I think I'd ship them now.

M.Magis":3uaim5q7 said:
This is just me, but I'd ship them now. There's no guarantee they'll gain anything, and if they do it'll just cost you money. Of course, I don't know how old/big the calves are, but anything north of 300 lbs I think I'd ship them now.

X2

I ran broken mouth cows for a number of years. I always shipped the cows late August/early September. It depended on pasture but I wanted them gone before the kill cow market started slipping in October. I weaned and preconditioned the calves and sold them in early October. Always worked for me.

Texas PaPaw":3gr07fof said:
M.Magis":3gr07fof said:

X2

x3

x4 when grass gets short ship them before they start loosing weight.if you hold them to long your gain will be quickly wiped out.

Latest posts